CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-21-2009, 04:50 AM   #1
Michael Thompson

Profile:
NATA Collaboration?

Hey everyone,

Although this is my first post, I have been working hand and hand with athletes for the past 4 years of me education. Currently I am finishing up my undergraduate in Athletic Training and plan on working on my Doctorate of Physical Therapy in graduate school. Also I have been serving in the military for the past 9 years which allowed be to pay for this education.

Well enough about me. The main purpose of this post is about collaborations between crossfit and the National Athletic Trainers' Association (NATA). While being submersed in athletic training myself, it makes perfect sense. It might help increase CF's marketability and legitimacy in the athletics and exercise science community. As two separate growing organizations they may benefit tremendously from this partnership.

For those of you that haven't heard of Athletic Training here is a definition from the NATA website, "Athletic training is practiced by athletic trainers, health care professionals who collaborate with physicians to optimize activity and participation of patients and clients. Athletic training encompasses the prevention, diagnosis, and intervention of emergency, acute, and chronic medical conditions involving impairment, functional limitations, and disabilities."

To follow up on the part saying "optimize activity and participation of patients and clients" (ie. athletes), this is what gives us the scope of practice to work in the domain of athletic conditioning. A lot of ATC (Athletic Training Certified) continue on to receive their CSCC to even further increase their skills.

Finally the NATA as a growing organization has been working different domains such as the military, law enforcement, professional football, baseball, X-games, Olympics, performance arts, and all other professional sports.

So as one can see there is definitely a chance for CF and the NATA to benefit extremely from this collaboration.

If anyone wants any more information about the NATA here is their website
http://www.nata.org/

Thank you for your time.

Mike T
Old 04-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: NATA Collaboration?

I'm not sure why you posted here....

Would've been better to e-mail HQ or something. Or at least polace the thread in community instead.