CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
Melissa Heath

Profile:
Terrible Arm Pain!!!!!!!

I have been doing crossfit for over a year now and still loving it. Last year, I had an issue with my shoulder that turned out to be burcitis. They gave me a cortisone shot sent me on my way I rested, iced, elevated it and laid off weight training a bit. I have had flare ups but nothing serious that I could not make it thru a workout using smaller amount of weight. But now as of probably 2 months and especially this last week I am not able to shave my arm pit, can barely type at my day job and have a continuous, bothersome pain in my full arm. The lastest doctor one month ago told me I had tendonitis in my arm and gave me a steroid creme that has done nothing. Although I hate the dose packs it has gotten so bad I started taking that yesterday as they can not get me into the orthopedic doc until mid April. I have stopped as of 3 days ago not doing anything to aggravate it but even the jarring motion of running is really not that pleasant. Any suggestions as I have to stay moving doing something ....if I take too big of a break weight and inches will pile on me...... I know from experience....3 months before the holidays last year I gained 32 inches due to my eating alone....not very pleasant for a girl that is 4'11"!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: Terrible Arm Pain!!!!!!!

Have to run, but I suggest searching for "tendinitis" and "medial epicondyle", also "elbow pain" threads. Not what you have, but I think the treatments will help.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:50 AM   #3
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Melissa,

Welcome to the Boards! Sorry it is for this reason. Camille has a good idea, but I also thought of something else.

If your bursitis has gone on long enough, there is the distinct possibility that some swelling has taken place in your shoulder where the nerves travel through to the rest of your arm. This nerve entrapment can cause excruciating pain, loss or diminishing of strength and function, and loss of ROM (all primarily due to pain). I'm struggling with bursitis in my R/shoulder (since November) - - it "popped" when I was doing dips and still hurts. I've been afraid to get the cortisone shot simply because I feared causing more damage by not being able to feel pain telling me to back off.

If you can tolerate it, I'd sit or lay back with the arm in a comfortable position and ice the entire shoulder girdle (arm pit included) for a few cycles of 10 minutes on, 20 minutes off at least two or three times a day for a while. Take ibuprofen also, if you can tolerate it, to see if any swelling or inflammation you do have goes down. As for exercise, lay off completely for a couple of days during this Rx (especially if it works for you) and then try stationary cycling or some other activity where very little, if any arm movement is required. I'd refrain from any other sort of exercise (involving arm/shoulder movement) until you can see your orthopedic doctor. Best of luck!

Steve

BTW, see this thread - - just found it after I posted here. This may help you: Shoulder Impingement and Subacrimonial Decompression (WFS).

Last edited by Stephen R. Lampl : 04-02-2009 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

1. Your weight is determine by your diet. If you are gaining (or losing for that matter) lots of fat or muscle this is diet related.

FIX YOUR DIET if you are concerned about your weight.

Eat real food wfs

2. STOP doing exercise with that arm. Seriously. If you're exercising through the pain you're making it worse.

3a. Can you give a list of exercises that hurt and where it hurts?

3b. How's your posture and overall shoulder balance (strength and muscularly)?
Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
Melissa Heath

Profile:

Thank you for all of your feedback. I do understand my diet holds me back quite a bit...it is so amazing what food does to you....I still though cannot get it thru my mind to do what I need to do when it comes to that part of my life. I have been on the medrol dose pack and not hurting as much and I am taking off the WOD's for 4 days. The pain is all thru my right arm ....anything overhead is really bad but just extending it at the elbow is bothersome ...I can do bicep curls but anything else just aggravates it---pushups, wall balls, running, rowing is not bad, any overhead weights out of the question right now...even doing gh situps hurts that arm I have just been holding over my chest and using my left arm to power up.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Heath View Post
Thank you for all of your feedback. I do understand my diet holds me back quite a bit...it is so amazing what food does to you....I still though cannot get it thru my mind to do what I need to do when it comes to that part of my life. I have been on the medrol dose pack and not hurting as much and I am taking off the WOD's for 4 days. The pain is all thru my right arm ....anything overhead is really bad but just extending it at the elbow is bothersome ...I can do bicep curls but anything else just aggravates it---pushups, wall balls, running, rowing is not bad, any overhead weights out of the question right now...even doing gh situps hurts that arm I have just been holding over my chest and using my left arm to power up.
Melissa,

You are welcome. You need to STOP doing anythingwhich potentially could worsen your injury. This includes curls, which will involve you upper arm/shoulder to some extent, no matter how well you are able to isolate the movement.

Solumedrol, like any corticosteroid, may mask pain and allow you to further cause damage if you persist in working the affected area. Check with your Dr., but I'd say at the stage your injury is in, you need to lay off a month or so......

Take care - - good luck.

Steve
Old 04-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
3a. Can you give a list of exercises that hurt and where it hurts?

3b. How's your posture and overall shoulder balance (strength and muscularly)?
Picture of where it hurts and such would be good too.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
Melissa Heath

Profile:

My MRI reports are back and state.... burcitis/tendonitis with fluid present on subacromial/subdeltoid bursa????? Rehabing is suggested! Any thoughts on WOD's from other crossfitters!?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Maybe some light rotator cuff work... mostly rest if it's not chronic.

Massage, and direct ice massage are strong encouraged.

Anti-inflams + fish oil too
Old 06-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
William Poehner

Profile:

I'm having some of the same issues and enjoying the feedback! My shoulder isn't as bad just some aching when i sleep with my arms above head, anything overhead and pull ups are killing me.(so i have stopped)
I bought fish oils and eat a Paleo diet. Also started on anti-inflams and liquid Glucosamine w/MSM. I really want to get back into the WOD's, how long do you think it will take to get back in, weeks, months?
Thanks William