CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
Will Nuse

Profile:
lower back and leg discomfort/pain

While I was in Iraq, I did a scaled 3 bars of death a little heavier than I normally would (was feeling froggy), but offset it by only doing even reps. By about the third or fourth set my form broke down and I was rounding my back doing the cleans, and my lower back really started hurting, more than the normal burn of the workout. That specific area right above my hips felt extremely weak for the next several days, during which I did no workouts at all and pounded ibuprofen (~600mg every 4-6 hours). I started feeling better and got back into it, using much lighter weight and being more careful, and things seemed to be better.

Fastforward to getting home, and I started working out at Mt. Baker Crossfit in Oak Harbor. I've only done metcon workouts there, and my lower back started acting up a little so I stopped going and have been taking it completely easy, which I'm now thinking wasn't the thing to do.

I'm noticing that my lower back aches whenever I'm sitting (usually the left side right above my pelvis, but sometimes the right), and there is sometimes a small amount of pain radiating down the backside of one leg through the hamstrings to my calf. Again this varies from leg to leg. The weirdest thing is that it seems to be timed with the beating of my heart, so it's a pulsating pain. Again, it's more discomfort than pain, but it seems like there's some kind of sciatica or possible nerve impingement; the pain feels vaguely electric in nature.

I've talked to the flight doc and he wants me to work on stretching and getting some massage, etc. I also have some physical therapy exercise that did seem to help a little when I was working on them (I've been lazy and haven't worked on them in a little while). What I'm curious about is what other recourses others of you have had to any kind of back trouble that didn't involve surgery, etc. I'm going to try a trick I read about on here and tape a ping pong ball to my stomach so I'll force myself to sleep on my back for a while, and I'm thinking about getting a foam roller as well, if not for my back, for my legs.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: lower back and leg discomfort/pain

Yours is similar to this guys problem

wfs
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=45171

I mean... there's different stuff you can do. Most of which involve massage, strengthening exercises, etc.

Focus on form and technique... NOT heavy weights or too many dynamic exercises. VERY easy to aggravate...

NO FOAM ROLLING... contraindicated for disk issues.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
Will Nuse

Profile:

Yep, I read that one. It does sound like mine... Wonder if he ever got it figured out. Think I'll see.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Nuse View Post
Yep, I read that one. It does sound like mine... Wonder if he ever got it figured out. Think I'll see.
There's a lot of threads like that one... just browse around with the search funtion.

It's pretty much gonna be more or less what I said.

You can see a doc to get referred to a PT if you want.