CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
Ryan Lynch

Profile:
Mental Fitness - Better beliefs

One of the things I have not seen discussed to often is the mental fitness side of Crossfit and what beliefs people have about themselves that help them exceed. There was a nice thread with Greg Everett about "the wall" a few weeks ago which is what got me thinking about this, as well as a couple of the philosophy posts at the Gym Jones site.

So anyway, starting near the bottom, are "values". I'm sure if we explored what most Crossfitter's value most, we will find a lot of similarities. Things like personal responsibility, strong work ethic, integrity, etc. I can't imagine the values of this group being to diverse.

On top of the values we hold dear that shape our lives, are the beliefs about ourselves and what goes on around us. Now "beliefs" have nothing to do with reality or fact, they are just the sub-conscience (and often conscience) rules we have that we govern our lives by. They serve us in some way.

So as an example, lets consider a couple of beliefs:

1) "Don't go out side without a coat or you will catch a cold"

How many times have we heard our mom's say that? It's a good rule, and it serves us. If it's snowing, we put on a coat and we are snuggly warm. However, it has zero basis in fact. One can not catch a cold regardless unless one is exposed to a cold virus. So this example is a fear based belief (do this or else!) with no base in fact, but it's one that serves us (generally speaking) and keeps us warm when it's cold outside.

and a personal one...

2) "I always have my car keys in my hand before I shut my car door"

A little something I repeat to myself or I "hear" in my head every time I get out of the car. This belief or rule protects me from locking my keys in my car. I locked them in the car once...and learned. Made this little rule, and have never been locked out of anything in over 20 years. The belief carried over to all aspects of doors and locks. Who knew?

So my question to all you Crossfitter's, is what beliefs do you have about yourself and your performance that helps you exceed at Crossfit? What was that little voice in your head saying that pushed you to not give in when your body ached and wanted to stop? What does it tell you when you need to push through the pain and run a little harder to get a better time?

I'd like to learn and adopt the good ones for myself. I've discovered a few limiting beliefs that I have as I have gotten older and less competitive that "allow" me to not push myself as hard as I think I should or would like to. I'd like to replace them with something more constructive.

So if you would, please list a couple of your "values" and one or more "beliefs" that you have the help you get through and excel at the toughest WOD's.

Myself:

Values:
1) Personal Responsibility
2) Honesty
3) Strong Work Ethic

Beliefs:
1) currently no good ones, so I'm asking you...

Thanks,

-Ryan
Old 02-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Mental Fitness - Better beliefs

I believe that stronger is better

I believe that we are physical animals, and this part of us needs to be embraced

I believe that we are mental creatures and this needs to excersized as well

I believe in performance over appearance

I believe we should help the people that we can

I believe we should ignore those that we can't

I believe a six pack and big guns are equivalent goals

I believe I post a little too much
Old 02-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

I believe in a thing called Love.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Just listen to the rhythm of my heart.

Last edited by Nick Cummings : 02-20-2009 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Ugh spelling
Old 02-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I believe in long slow wet kisses that last three days
Old 02-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Come'on...serious guys...

-Ryan
Old 02-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Carter Jee

Profile:

a friend of mine who is a great mentor in my life told me to write a list of values and things down which I consider my non-negotiables...

by deciding on your non-negotiables, it makes making decisions easier for you..

e.g. one of my non-negotiables is fitness...

so when I am faced (and often) with the decision to skip todays workout, i think of my non-negotiable and realise, no I shouldn't...

another example could be your family...

so when you're faced with a choice that might reduce your family time (quality or quantity), you choose your family... e.g. better job but an extra hour commute... you choose to stick with the lower pay job with the shorter commute...
Old 02-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

I believe that working on your weakness' makes you stronger.
I believe that human potential is unlimited, I can always go faster, longer, heavier.....practice,practice.
I believe the body goes where the mind leads, so even if my body is shaking and weak,I have the awareness that switching my focus from the shaking to what I want to do will give me a little boost.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
Tom Seryak

Profile:

nice thread ryan, thanks!

a trainer on the ultimate fighter (an older man, but i don't know his name) said, "yesterday is a cancelled check, tomorrow is a promissory note, but today is cash money!"

one of the many things that i love about crossfit is that it gives you the opportunity to fully engage in "the now". i think that it helps tremendously during wod's such as fight gone bad, murph, helen, etc. to focus on each moment rather than the entire task. when i find my mind wondering towards the finish line, it helps to pull back to the present moment and focus my full attention on the current task at hand, each and every rep.

i look forward to every day's wod b/c it makes me feel most alive
Old 02-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
There was a nice thread with Greg Everett about "the wall" a few weeks ago
Could you link to this, please. I couldn't find it.