CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-03-2009, 05:40 AM   #521
Lee Hill

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Hi Peter, the reasoning for the 'ramping' is covered in depth in the CF journal article. Briefly, it explains that you could do 'flat' sets, but with the volume of work in this program - which, if you're hitting the met-cons with integrity, is a load - ample progress is still made with ramping. I count my work sets in a 3x3 as 3x3 not 1x3, because my first set is still bloody heavy (for me) and I go from there. My 3rd set is a PB set (usually).

For example: today is back squat day. I'm going to do a couple of WU sets at 60, 100 and 120kg, then do work sets of (hopefully) 137.5/142.5/147.5kg x3. The last set would be a PB, but I feel I'd get more out of ramping in this way than hitting 3x3 at, say, 140kg. My overall PB's have increased steadily and personally I feel I'd hit a plateau sooner doing flat sets than this way. The high rep squats on front squat day have shortened my range of weight between 20 and 1 rep - looking at 120kgx20 this week, although just writing it makes me feel slightly nauseous with pre-WOD dread. Doing high rep on back squat day would I think compromise my deadlifts the next day. I'm always ready for my Wednesday rest day, everything from lumbar down just done in.

I followed all the recommendations in the article about scaling for the first cycle of CFSB and now, as I am in the final week of my 3rd cycle, have hit new all time PB's in all lifts - singles, 3 and 5 rep maxes, at a lighter bodyweight than when they were originally set, and with much better technique. My double bodyweight squat. The strength gains have transferred to my WODs, with PBs falling like skittles.

Without knowing how heavy and often you already train like this, my blanket advice is not to bite off more than you can chew, at least to start with. If you're a major league fire-breather I'd still recommend reading the original article before starting the program in earnest.

Good luck either way fella, feel free to PM me with any further questions.

Last edited by Lee Hill : 08-03-2009 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Bad grammar offending my teacher's eye...
Old 08-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #522
Peter Boobier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Hill View Post
Hi Peter, the reasoning for the 'ramping' is covered in depth in the CF journal article. Briefly, it explains that you could do 'flat' sets, but with the volume of work in this program - which, if you're hitting the met-cons with integrity, is a load - ample progress is still made with ramping. I count my work sets in a 3x3 as 3x3 not 1x3, because my first set is still bloody heavy (for me) and I go from there. My 3rd set is a PB set (usually).

For example: today is back squat day. I'm going to do a couple of WU sets at 60, 100 and 120kg, then do work sets of (hopefully) 137.5/142.5/147.5kg x3. The last set would be a PB, but I feel I'd get more out of ramping in this way than hitting 3x3 at, say, 140kg. My overall PB's have increased steadily and personally I feel I'd hit a plateau sooner doing flat sets than this way. The high rep squats on front squat day have shortened my range of weight between 20 and 1 rep - looking at 120kgx20 this week, although just writing it makes me feel slightly nauseous with pre-WOD dread. Doing high rep on back squat day would I think compromise my deadlifts the next day. I'm always ready for my Wednesday rest day, everything from lumbar down just done in.

I followed all the recommendations in the article about scaling for the first cycle of CFSB and now, as I am in the final week of my 3rd cycle, have hit new all time PB's in all lifts - singles, 3 and 5 rep maxes, at a lighter bodyweight than when they were originally set, and with much better technique. My double bodyweight squat. The strength gains have transferred to my WODs, with PBs falling like skittles.

Without knowing how heavy and often you already train like this, my blanket advice is not to bite off more than you can chew, at least to start with. If you're a major league fire-breather I'd still recommend reading the original article before starting the program in earnest.

Good luck either way fella, feel free to PM me with any further questions.
Thanks Lee, that was a great response. I have been doing my own metcons and I've cut the metcon only day, I forgot to mention that.

The part about ramping that I didn't get was that the weights are very close together, with only a few kilos in it, which made me think "well it might as well be straight across sets". My argument would be why not just ramp to a SINGLE work set using larger increments? Surely this would be more in keeping with the recovery aspect?

If not I will concede and do the program as outlined. Using 5 kilo jumps between sets.

By the way, is this the same for deadlifts? Or is the ramping as I have suggested, with larger jumps up to a single top end set?

Thank you for all your help.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #523
Lee Hill

Profile:

Hi peter,

Personally, I tried bigger jumps, but just couldn't hit the work sets as they got heavier. I've found 5kg jumps works for me. My coach (Kempie, thread starter) uses bigger jumps and you too may find you can het away with this. He's got about 20KG BW on me so maybe its a muscular thing, maybe it's more mental. Either way, I recently hit a sticking point doing 2 and 3 rep sets leading up to a 5 rep max with bigger jumps, then blasted through it by going back to 5kg increment increases.

Maybe try both approaches in your first cycle or 2 and see which feels more appropriate for your physiology?

Good luck either way
Old 08-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #524
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Boobier View Post
Thanks Lee, that was a great response. I have been doing my own metcons and I've cut the metcon only day, I forgot to mention that.

The part about ramping that I didn't get was that the weights are very close together, with only a few kilos in it, which made me think "well it might as well be straight across sets". My argument would be why not just ramp to a SINGLE work set using larger increments? Surely this would be more in keeping with the recovery aspect?

If not I will concede and do the program as outlined. Using 5 kilo jumps between sets.

By the way, is this the same for deadlifts? Or is the ramping as I have suggested, with larger jumps up to a single top end set?

Thank you for all your help.
Pete- That's how I played it. I would do warm upsets. Then sets heavier but close together, with a third, or fifth set that was 60-80kg heavier. I was able to progress well and maintain recovery.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #525
Peter Boobier

Profile:

Excellent. Thanks for the great input guys, you've been a great help. I'll be sure to post back soon!
Old 08-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #526
Dean Dioguardi

Profile:

Has anybody tried this program while also using a pull up progression program as well? I'm going to be using Recon Ron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recon_Ron_Pull-up_Program) WFS

It seems like this should work out well as CFSB doesn't require any pull ups aside from the short met cons after the strength workouts. I'm going to stray away from adding additional pull ups into the metcons as Recon Ron has me doing a pretty large amount of dead hangs everyday. I'll probably still do 10-20 kipping in my strength workout warmups though.

Starting on Week 7 as I can do 13-14 dead hangs already. Just wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts or comments on this program + CFSB.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #527
Matthew Klein

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dioguardi View Post
Has anybody tried this program while also using a pull up progression program as well? I'm going to be using Recon Ron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recon_Ron_Pull-up_Program) WFS

It seems like this should work out well as CFSB doesn't require any pull ups aside from the short met cons after the strength workouts. I'm going to stray away from adding additional pull ups into the metcons as Recon Ron has me doing a pretty large amount of dead hangs everyday. I'll probably still do 10-20 kipping in my strength workout warmups though.

Starting on Week 7 as I can do 13-14 dead hangs already. Just wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts or comments on this program + CFSB.
It should work out fine IMO. Most of the strength work is done in the lower body, anyway.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:19 AM   #528
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I would start on a "lower" week, like 4 or 5. You will need to ramp up to the volume of pullups you will be doing as well, not just your one set max. I fear you may stall too fast starting that high on the ladder. Just a thought.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #529
Lisa Walker

Profile:

Guys,

Quick question. I've browsed through the 50+ pages here, can't find quite what I am looking for and hoping you can help. I have been CrossFitting for over a year and have recently added more strength days into my program. I am preparing for a strongman (woman comp in October. I'm an ecto, 5'4, 120 and will compete in the lightweight division. I'm a past figure competitor and have lifted and trained seriously for about ten years.

Here's my question. Does anyone have sample programs showing how they have structured their daily/weekly/monthly/annual training cycles - with a strength bias? I have read the various articles on the CFSB, but I am still not see examples (specific exercises/sets/reps performed Monday through Sunday, etc.) I am sure it's there and I've missed it, but I really would appreciate at this point someone sharing or pointing me to sample workouts that have proven successful. For now, I am pulling from some of my older programs and various journals on this and other sites. My progress is good, but I would just like some fresh ideas to compare to what I am currently doing.

Sorry if this has been asked before and I really do appreciate any guidance.

Lisa
Old 08-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #530
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Lisa - you'll have to wade through a bit of stuff but here is a link to my online training log when I started running the CFSB - specifically I started on 10 October and have run a total of 3 completed cycles since then.

http://s15.zetaboards.com/CrossFit/topic/147382/46/ WFS

Any questions feel free to PM or email me rather than posting on my log.

Cheers, kempie