CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
Jared Grisham

Profile:
Injured elbow on pull-ups

An acquaintance of mine who Crossfits (semi-regularly) has asked me to post this on the injuries forum. I'd really like to help him because he may be able to get me an internship with the legal department at KBR. Given that I'm currently in law school, that would be HUGE. So, please help me impress him. Pretty please.

He hurt his elbow a while back and was wondering if you guys could give him some feedback. Here is the Q&A:

1. Exactly where does it hurt. On the outside of your elbow, or inside (closest to your body). Also, above or below?
Inside / below, towards the hand.
2. Was it a pull-up or chin-up that caused the injury? Did it hurt while you were pulling up or while you were controlling down?
Pull up, behind the neck. Did not hurt when I did the pull ups. Hurt afterwards.
3. How powerful was the movement? Slow and controlled or quick and powerful?
Slow and controlled, but I remember struggling to pull my self up after a few sets. I think I over did it since it was a few months ago, before I gained my strength.
4. How long ago did the injury take place, and how much does it still hurt?
About 3 or 4 months ago. Definately getting better, but still hurts a bit.
5. What movements/exercises exacerbate the pain?
Pull downs, pull ups, curls (with bar and dumb bells), behind the next tricept extensions.
Any help insight/advice would be much appreciated.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Injured elbow on pull-ups

Picture would be helpful...

Cumulative or just after that exercise?

Need more details.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Jared Grisham

Profile:

It was just after the exercise. He said that it hurts when he does those exercises listed above but it's not getting worse by any means. I'll try and find a picture to hotlink...
Old 01-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
Jose M. Perez

Profile:

Sounds like it could be tendonitis. The symptoms match what I experienced. He should make sure to warm up thoroughly before his workout and then stretch afterwards. Icing the affected area after the workout should also help. You might look at some of the stretches that baseball pitchers do after a game; most of them are for the rotator cuff, but some of them should help increase blood flow in the arm. 15 to 20 minutes of cardio (exercise bike, jogging) would also help with recovery.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose M. Perez View Post
Sounds like it could be tendonitis. The symptoms match what I experienced. He should make sure to warm up thoroughly before his workout and then stretch afterwards. Icing the affected area after the workout should also help. You might look at some of the stretches that baseball pitchers do after a game; most of them are for the rotator cuff, but some of them should help increase blood flow in the arm. 15 to 20 minutes of cardio (exercise bike, jogging) would also help with recovery.
Tendonitis is generally overuse. And it is also true that the pain is manifesting itself at it seems near the medial epicondyle and lower which is a prime target for overuse especially with pullups.

However, the thing that makes me suspect otherwise is he had zero problems before that pullup that aggravated it. This is not consistent with overuse or tendonitis rather with acute injury.

Ice and massage will definitely help as will warmups though...

Well, actually the more I think about it I think it would be a good idea to go see an ART practitioner. If I had to guess from the description one of the triceps trigger points radiates pain where the guy is talking about wfs

http://www.webmanmed.com/painrefer_files/infrapro.html

A picture from Jared would've probably be better to try to figure something out though.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:03 AM   #6
Jared Grisham

Profile:

Sorry I've been gone from this thread for so long, first semester law school is freaking TOUGH. It's like the crossfit of academia
Getting a picture is going to be tough since I hardly have enough time to follow this thread. I've been bringing my camera with me everyday to the gym but since my workout times aren't as regular as they used to be I haven't seen him in quite a while.
I'll post again with a picture as soon as I can get one. Thanks for the responses guys.

And Steven, I'm honored that you'd come in this thread to help me out. Thanks a billion (and you too Jose )
Old 01-25-2009, 03:47 AM   #7
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Jared,

your friend has tried self-massage for triggerpoints, has he?

Given the minimal effort, time, and cost in involved in self-massage, it should be the number one approach to try for those overuse/tendonitis injuries like this one, once structural damage has been ruled out (after acute injuries). See http://www.board.CrossFit.com/showthread.php?t=27539 for the why and how.

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian
Old 01-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Grisham View Post
Sorry I've been gone from this thread for so long, first semester law school is freaking TOUGH. It's like the crossfit of academia
Getting a picture is going to be tough since I hardly have enough time to follow this thread. I've been bringing my camera with me everyday to the gym but since my workout times aren't as regular as they used to be I haven't seen him in quite a while.
I'll post again with a picture as soon as I can get one. Thanks for the responses guys.

And Steven, I'm honored that you'd come in this thread to help me out. Thanks a billion (and you too Jose )
You don't need to get a picture of HIM. You need to pull a picture off the internet of someone's arm (preferably an anatomy arm) and mark where he's feeling pain, lol.