CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:
Odd pain in right side

It happened after I did Turkish get-ups for the first time. At first I thought it was just oblique soreness. It hurt a little, but not enough to slow down my workouts. However, doing heavy deadlifts seemed to make it hurt, even though other oblique exercises (like russian twists) or even overhead squats didn't seem to affect my right side oblique.

I couldn't sleep on my right side either. So, I took two weeks off heavy lifting (running, push-ups, and other metcon work seemed fine and didn't cause any distress).

Well, it seemed better, but last friday I did some heavy deadlifts, which caused a little twinge, but nothing too painful. Today, though, I couldn't finish a set of heavy shoulder press - which hadn't happened before. Before, the shoulder press didn't seem to affect the oblique. But today, when I got done with the warm up sets, I couldn't do the work sets because my right side hurt so much. This is the most it's hurt since the initial "injury" (was it an injury? It didn't feel like it at the time). Oddly, I did several sets of heavy squats before, and I didn't feel it in my side at all.

Is this that I've just overworked my obliques/finally found my weak link in heavy lifts, or have I really screwed something up?

I was finally making real gains on the heavy lifts
Old 01-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:
Re: Odd pain in right side

I should add I've done a search here and on google, and nothing seems to fit, since nearly all the info I've found says that running should cause my side to be more painful, but running or any metcon work (that doesn't use heavy weights) seems to be okay.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Kyle Jernigan

Profile:

You've obviously strained something - duh. You may have strained a tendon or some sort of connective tissue. The problem with connective tissues is they get about 1/3 the circulation as regular soft-er tissue, and likewise take 3x longer to heal. Think about a strained muscle vs a sprained ankle. Both involve a straining of some tissue, but a strained muscle takes 2-3 weeks to fully heal while a sprained ankle takes 6-8 weeks to heal.

It is pretty strange that shoulder presses hurt you when other oblique related exercises didn't. Most of the time now (since I'll be 30 in April), I prefer the idea of "live to train another day." Which doesn't consist of "training through the pain as much. Now, I prefer to train around it, rest it, ice it, heat it, etc. If your 2 weeks helped, you might want to take it easy for a little while longer. Human bodies are amazing at repairing themselves.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

Thanks! I know I strained something. Just seeing if someone knew more than what I could find after a search.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
Dennis Dickmann

Profile:

Does it feel like a rib injury? It could be a pulled rib muscle. The intercostal muscle may pull or tear due to overstress. This can happen to an athlete who makes a sudden, violent lateral motion or suddenly rotates the rib cage. As a result you will feel tenderness between the ribs, not on them.

I hope its not, but it could also be a costochondral separation, a tear in the cartalige that holds the ribs to the sternum. It doesn't hurt like other rib injuries. Coughing, laughing, or raising your arms are no problem. It's under load that things get painful. Did you do anything that could have caused this sort of trauma? In my case six months ago I was grappling a Div. 1 Greco wrestler in Jiu Jitsu class. He got his arms around my ribs for a takedown when I heard (and felt) a pop as he started to lift. The area got really warm and felt strange, but didn't hurt that much. The pain came a day later. It takes forever to heal, and to this day I can't do a set of sandbag shoulder get-ups without being out of commision for a few days. Bloodflow to this area sucks and it takes a while to heal.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

It's not near the sternum. It might be a rib injury - it does feel a little like a bruised rib.

I did some light metcons today, and found that it really only hurts when in an isometric contraction - like during push-ups or planks (or dead lifts and shoulder press, where it hurt before) and even then it didn't really hurt during the movement - it began to hurt after, once the tension is released Also, the amount of hurt seems to relate to the amount of weight. Push-ups only make it twinge a little. It was the heavy weights yesterday (and a few weeks ago) that caused the more intense pain. However, it's around the lower ribs on the right, not near the sternum.

I'm just going to take it easy and do very light workouts that don't involve the obliques too much for the next few weeks. Then I think I'll drop the weights and gradually work back up to where I am now.

Last edited by Ivan Wolfe : 01-13-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
Dennis Dickmann

Profile:

The pain may not be near the sternum. Mine is at the 9th and 10th ribs around the floating ribs, the handful you can reach in and grab right above obliques. Burpees really aggravate it for me.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

Hmm. I googled costochondral separation, and the sources say it comes from direct trauma. I can't think of anything that would have done it. Like I said, it first appeared as what I thought was soreness after doing turkish get-ups for the first time (with a light weight). I hadn't done anything high impact around that time - I can't even think of accidentally bumping into anything.

From the descriptions online, I don't think it's a costochondral separation, but I suppose it could be a minor one. However, from the pictures online, it's still in the wrong spot, as this is not near the front, but more toward the back.

I actually did have a costochondral separation once back in jr. high, but that was in my chest area, while doing dips. I've since learned it's a bad idea for kids under 18 to do narrow grip dips because they are prone to that.

However, this pain is near the 9th and 10th ribs, so it may be that. I just can't think of what caused it, if its that. Based on googling "Intercostal strains" and the pages that came up, it seems like I'm closer to a Intercostal strain, though twisting doesn't hurt. But it may be that the turkish get-ups strained those muscles and my deadlifting, etc. made it worse.

I'll take a week or two off, and once it's not hurting, I'll start very light and work up gradually. If it starts hurting again, I'll stop. If it is a Costochondral separation, then I really am going to be out of it for awhile.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

Even odder - the pain has migrated from my lower right ribs, to about halfway up my back, between the trapezius and lats somewhere.

Oh, well. It seems to be improving anyway, and I've put off working out this week (which stinks).
Old 01-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Probably strained your quadratus lumborum.

wfs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratus_lumborum

Rest. If I were you I'd try to get a deep tissue massage + slight stretching and maaaybe light exercise.

If it doesn't fix itself see a PT as it may be some other problem you or I am not aware of.

Other one is probably serratus posterior inferior or rhomboids or something like that. Massage both that side AND the opposite side.

Last edited by Steven Low : 01-15-2009 at 05:46 PM.