CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-31-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
Jeff Hendrix

Profile:
Question re: Zone and total calories

Granted, almost any number seems small after eating 4000-6000 kcals a day for the last few months, but this seems too low to be any good: according to a block guide that I downloaded from Front Range CrossFit, an 18 block diet with 2x fat is only 2142 calories. And an 18 block diet may be too high for me according to Sears' web site. Does that sound like a correct number, or am I missing something important?

According to the spreadsheet I downloaded 1 block is 7 grams protein, 9 grams carbs, and 3 grams fat. My Zone book is in the mail, so I can't verify any of this information from here.

I'm sure there are 37 threads discussing this, but I hope you can show me some mercy.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Dennis Godfrey

Profile:
Re: Question re: Zone and total calories

Most of the time the zone books think of people not doing very much. So if you CF or are doing heavy lifting a lot you will need more blocks. Also if you have a low % body fat you will want to increase fat intake. some people double it others triple it.
There was just an article in the journal that was written by Greg Amundson, he is 200lbs and eats 22 block plus 2x fat.

You would have to post you height, weight, activity level for us to judge your block intake.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
Jeff Hendrix

Profile:

I'm 6'1", 182 lbs. (+/- 2), and do workouts 3-5/week consisting of a couple of powerlifts and a WOD for the most part.

I read Greg's article, but it still seems low to me. I haven't been gaining much weight eating all that I have, so I'm left wondering if either I was somehow just burning up a lot of food into nothing or that I really need to eat about 4000 kcals per day to stay at my weight.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Greg Hunt

Profile:

i'm trying to figure this out too, my friend is looking to bulk up, as a hard gainer 21 blocks is suggested.

21 blocks only works out to 1911kcals, which seems far too low

1g protein = 4cals
1g carbs = 4 cals
1g fat = 9 cals
calculation: 21(blocks) * (7*4 + 9*4 + 3*9) = 1911

even with double fat that's still only 2478cals

for people looking to gain weight should they be consuming more, i would have though 3000-3500 would be a better figure.

Also it may have been raised before, but how is 1 whole egg only 1 protein block, surely it would be more like 1protein + 1 fat block?
Old 01-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Camille Lore

Profile:  

I watched a Nicole Carrol Crossfit Journal video on this and she did say that when you eat food in the right balance that you need far fewer calories than you would think...
Personally, I found it wasn't enough and I never increased the fat. I was doing CF, and CFE, with some other sports thrown in. I think I was eating 12 blocks (small F here). Looking back, I probably should have tried more fat to avoid the crashes.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Greg Hunt

Profile:

i've just looked at more articles and paid for the performance menu one, they suggest going up 5x fat, and ramping up blocks by 1 each week for 10 weeks, and doing some other fancy cycling stuff. In terms of cals that does make more sense. I can also see why the zone can be a high fat diet too now
Old 01-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Zone does not account for the fat in the lean protein. Chicken, fish, eggs, dairy, and other sources of lean protein have some fat, which is not factored in, so your caloric intake is going to be slightly higher because of that.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
James Compora

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Maisannes View Post
Zone does not account for the fat in the lean protein. Chicken, fish, eggs, dairy, and other sources of lean protein have some fat, which is not factored in, so your caloric intake is going to be slightly higher because of that.
yeah its funny how everyone seems to forget there are other calories in everything they eat
Old 01-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

If you friend is a hard gainer, have them eat ALOT. They should be full, I mean uncomfortable, after every meal. To be big, you have to eat big, and it ain;t easy.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
Jeff Hendrix

Profile:

Okay, first day in the Zone . . . more or less. According to Sears, I should be getting about 17 or 18 blocks per day. I already planned on 2x fat, and I actually got (according to my FitDay tracking) 25 protein, 20 carb, and 45 fat blocks. I still felt hungry a couple of times today, and I kind of feel like I could eat some now.

I ended up at 2600 kcals for the day. My blocks say I should have been at 1900. Is this usually how it works out for those of you who track on FitDay or some other program?

Should I just try and eat more fat and get my protein and carb blocks down to where they need to be, or would it be worth trying something closer to 20 or 21 blocks per day?