CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
Jason Rambo

Profile:
Hi. My name is Jason and this is my first post to this section of the CrossFit discussion board.

I have a question about this quote from “What is Fitness”:

One aspect of anaerobic conditioning that bears great consideration is that anaerobic conditioning will not adversely affect aerobic capacity. In fact, properly structured, anaerobic activity can be used to develop a very high level of aerobic fitness without the muscle wasting consistent with high volumes of aerobic exercise!!

If purely anaerobic training such as sprints and intervals can develop a very high level of aerobic fitness, would it be possible to train for a marathon this way? Could purely anaerobic training take you through 26.2 miles? Just curious.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
You would probably limp through it. You need to acclimatize your joints to the pounding and your mind to the tedium of long distance running. I do think it very possible to do a marathon with only one long run per week. The rest could be shorter pace run, intervals etc. There are a few other threads on people training for a marathon with very little running.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Connie Morreale

Profile:
jason,
there is a huge thread on a closely realted topic in this forum, about 25 down from the top.
it is titled "training for marathon without running?"
Old 05-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Jason Rambo

Profile:
I do think it very possible to do a marathon with only one long run per week. The rest could be shorter pace run, intervals etc.

OK. This seems to be the key.

there is a huge thread on a closely realted topic in this forum, about 25 down from the top.

Oops. Didn't see that. Thanks for the heads-up!}