CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #71
Scott Spencer

Profile:
Re: What exercises aren't part of crossfit programming, but you think should be?

farmers walk, sled work, reverse hypers, kettlebell snatches and cleans, sandbag
Old 12-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #72
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

Re: What exercises aren't part of crossfit programming, but you think should be?

1. Side Press/Bent Press
2. TGU (I prefer the barbell version to the kettlebell/sandbag version)
3. Odd object lifts (rocks, barrels, etc)
4. Walking with weight
5. Short Sprints
6. SMMF (Single Movement Mind ****)

These six exercises can make a huge difference in your fitness level. Check 'em out!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #73
Christian Gotcher

Profile:

I generally disagree on the not-usefulness of the TGU in the WOD. There's an 'austere' video of Eva T doing TGU in the exercise demos and they looked like a real beatdown, and when I've done them for time, I've gotten plenty of full-body impact out of it. It's a large weight and a long distance, even if it's not moved quickly. It's hard for me to argue for, say, the situp, which doesn't move too much weight too great a distance, and then say no to a TGU in the WOD.
M/22/155|Murph-28:19|Helen-9:39|Annie- 5:12|CFT-700|1.5 Mile-8:35|Strict PU-24|Fran-5:24 log
Old 12-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #74
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Gotcher View Post
I generally disagree on the not-usefulness of the TGU in the WOD. There's an 'austere' video of Eva T doing TGU in the exercise demos and they looked like a real beatdown, and when I've done them for time, I've gotten plenty of full-body impact out of it. It's a large weight and a long distance, even if it's not moved quickly. It's hard for me to argue for, say, the situp, which doesn't move too much weight too great a distance, and then say no to a TGU in the WOD.
For me it's the safety factor of doing heavy TGU for time. I wouldn't put that in the WOD on .com just because you will have people like Eva who can handle it safely, and then untrained newbies who cannot and will crush their skulls on rep 5 when they fail and the KB comes crashing down... Not saying they aren't useful, or awesome, or fun. I love them. I do them, I have my members do them here, just not for time in a metcon.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #75
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
TGU has been covered as well why it doesn't fit into metcons. It is a great movement to do, but for metcons we look for large loads, long ROM, quickly. TGU doesn't have that large a load, has a long ROM but can't be done quickly. (at least not safely and with heavy loads...)

But they are good. We throw them into our warm-ups every and now and then. Not done for time or anything.
I disagree that it's always about large loads. 95# is hardly a large load. Plus, you could argue that in the disadvantaged position a TGU puts you in, it is a large load.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #76
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Luby View Post
I disagree that it's always about large loads. 95# is hardly a large load. Plus, you could argue that in the disadvantaged position a TGU puts you in, it is a large load.
Look, I'm just going by the book here and CrossFit defines functional as large load, long ROM, quickly. The TGU does not fit that in that it doesn't fit all those requirements for a functional move for a metcon. Sure for you 95 lbs isn't a large load, for my wife it is. For my mom it is impossibly heavy. Largeness of load is relative. ROM and cycle time of reps not so much. Do you disagree with saying that a heavy TGU is safe to do quickly? Reps for time? All I'm saying is throw it into your warm-up, or supplemental strength work or something...

But if you're comfortable programming fast heavy TGU for yourself or others then fill your boots, no one is stopping you. I was merely stating why TGU aren't in the WOD, as per the CF staff at certs.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #77
Sean Manseau

Profile:

more rotational stuff, like lunging buelers, kettlebell chops, and sandbag half-moons. also, perhaps movements that emphasize balance and agility in directions other than just forward or up/down, like reverse barbell lunges or lateral box jumps.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #78
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
Look, I'm just going by the book here and CrossFit defines functional as large load, long ROM, quickly. The TGU does not fit that in that it doesn't fit all those requirements for a functional move for a metcon. Sure for you 95 lbs isn't a large load, for my wife it is. For my mom it is impossibly heavy. Largeness of load is relative. ROM and cycle time of reps not so much. Do you disagree with saying that a heavy TGU is safe to do quickly? Reps for time? All I'm saying is throw it into your warm-up, or supplemental strength work or something...

But if you're comfortable programming fast heavy TGU for yourself or others then fill your boots, no one is stopping you. I was merely stating why TGU aren't in the WOD, as per the CF staff at certs.
I hear ya. Your point is taken on doing TGUs quickly. But let's not forget that Coach sometimes breaks his own rules (e.g., 9 mile run), which is a good thing. That's how progress is achieved.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #79
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Luby View Post
Heavy bag - I've created several circuits incorporating the bag --wearing gloves throughout!

Stadium steps - these are a classic, but maybe not practical for some

Suicides - perhaps this is more practical than 100m sprints in the context of a circuit

i actually have added these into my own program over the last few months. i love doing rounds using the body bag with kb swings and jump rope. i also found that stadium steps are really more about balance, precision, and timing then anything else. i am not sure how many of you guys use the crossfit endurance website, but i will add a few wod's from there that include sprints & suicides.

personally i would like to see the use of some cables. i saw a few mountain climbers working out at my globo with a long rope extension on the cable. and there are a few other ways that you can incorporate multi-joint movements using cables.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #80
David Sailor

Profile:

What a great thread.

For me, getting upside down. More handstands and handstand walking.