CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-31-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
Christopher Clements

Profile:
Knees popping during back squats

Is this most likely a form issue? There is no pain, but sometimes my knees sound like a bowl of rice crispies.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: Knees popping during back squats

form issue
Old 09-01-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
Tom Rawls

Profile:

robt: pls. explain. thank you.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
Nick Gagnon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Clements View Post
Is this most likely a form issue? There is no pain, but sometimes my knees sound like a bowl of rice crispies.
Is it just when you are warming up or all of the time?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Christopher Clements

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Gagnon View Post
Is it just when you are warming up or all of the time?
Some days it won't happen at all, on others it will do it with every rep.

I'll have to read through the squatting section in SS again. Just a feeling, but I think my feet are too far apart and or they are angled out too much.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Post a vid. With sound.

My knees creak and pop and groan like crazy. It's worse depending on the weather and/or my hydration level. It sounds funny but isn't painful and I attribute it to high school football issues and Osgood-Schlatter's (sp?) when I was a kid.

I do find that the best warmup I can do is about .5-1 mile on the exercise bike before squatting (at near zero intensity, about 90-110rpms at lowest resistance level). This is my ritual now. It makes a hyooooge difference in my knees' comfort level when squatting. I then do at least 2 sets of 8 or so with just the bar, 135x5-8, 225x3-5, and then 315+ as my work set. My knees feel better throughout the day if I follow this entire procedure 3x/week. Any less and they suck.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Christopher Clements

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
Post a vid. With sound.

My knees creak and pop and groan like crazy. It's worse depending on the weather and/or my hydration level. It sounds funny but isn't painful and I attribute it to high school football issues and Osgood-Schlatter's (sp?) when I was a kid.

I do find that the best warmup I can do is about .5-1 mile on the exercise bike before squatting (at near zero intensity, about 90-110rpms at lowest resistance level). This is my ritual now. It makes a hyooooge difference in my knees' comfort level when squatting. I then do at least 2 sets of 8 or so with just the bar, 135x5-8, 225x3-5, and then 315+ as my work set. My knees feel better throughout the day if I follow this entire procedure 3x/week. Any less and they suck.
Thanks, if I can't get them to stop the racket with an increased warm up I'll post a video. I don't have a bike so I'll either jog a little bit or use the C2.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

If you have SS, notice that Rip prescribes 5 minutes on the C2 on the Onus Wunsler program, pre-squats. Probably a safe bet. I've been meaning to try C2 before squats but the bike has just worked so well I haven't really had an urge. I'd prefer either over jogging, due to the low impact nature.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
Robert Callahan

Profile:

If you have had injuries you may have some excess scar tissue that is catching on imperfections on the surface of the bone causing pop-ing and crackling.

If you have not had injuries though pop-ing may happen during warm-up, before you have gotten the synovial fluid levels up in your joints. On work sets though pop-ing and crackling usually indicates that the knee is NOT tracking straight out and that there is some rotation occurring causing tendons/ligaments to catch and release on imperfections of the bone. When your knee tracks straight out over your foot though this should not be happening. This is why my first response was that it was a form issue.

If your knee is hurting after workouts I would post a video for form critique asap. If there is no accompanied pain it is probably not the biggest deal in the world, but I may still post a video just to be sure

Hope that helps

-Robert
Old 09-02-2008, 06:45 AM   #10
Tom Rawls

Profile:

thanks Robert.

I'm squatting on an old set of knees, so it could be years of wear showing up. Or some tracking issues. Or both.

There is some pain, which I think of as tendinitis. Perhaps patellar chondromalacia.

I do know the warranty has expired.