CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-29-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
Christian Hansen

Profile:
I went for a long walk on Sunday on the beach and interspersed some sprints and some short runs. I was either in bare feet at the beach or wearing Converse All Stars. I tried to focus on a forefoot strike and a short contact time with the ground. Felt really good but the next day (and today) my calves are DOMSing hard. Is this pretty normal when heel strikers try to convert to a forefoot strike? It makes sense but this change is purely self taught so I don't want to be messing myself up. Also, is it OK to run with the DOMS or should I wait until no pain?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
The DOMS is normal. If you keep running regularly this way then your calves will adapt and will stop getting sore. Beach running alone will hit the calves hard, add in forefoot strike and it's a double-whammy. I would start running again before the DOMS is completely gone but after it peaks. I.E. When it is starting to go away.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:30 PM   #3
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I heard that running barefoot in the sand is not as cool as we think it is. I can't remember the article but apparently it's just not good for the plantar fascia muscles in the sole. At least do it in shoes 'they' say.
Hey..it surprised me too.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:55 AM   #4
Christian Hansen

Profile:
Thanks for the responses. I was running on hard sand by the water and I hope it isn't too bad for my plantar fascia muscles (gonna go google that one) as it was outrageously fun. As for the DOMS: good lord, still going strong.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:09 AM   #5
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
fas·ci·a (făsh'ē-ə)
n., pl. fas·ci·ae (făsh'ē-ē', fā'shē-ē).
1. Anatomy. A sheet or band of fibrous connective tissue enveloping, separating, or binding together muscles, organs, and other soft structures of the body.

http://www.ortho-net.com/plantarfascia.htm

I hope this clears up the plantar fascia muscle thing. forefoot strike is going to put more strain on your Plantar fascia than heel strike, but once your body adapts is better overall.

DOMS will most likely last for 2-4 days. The best things you can do for it are Ice, mild activity, and ibuprofen or other antiinflammitory.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
I ripped a ligament in my ankle when running and was told by a sports medicine orthopedist that I would have to have a surgery to have a ligament graft put in. I stopped running for a year and then one day at the beach I decided to jog a bit after going for a swim. I ran, it hurt but it was merely the adhesions from the scar tissue stretching. so I started running barefoot in the surf. I figured the colder water might help keep down any inflamation that might develop. Now I can run no problem. well not as fast as before but I am happy to be able to run pain free.