CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-15-2008, 05:37 AM   #31
Sean McMaster

Profile:
Re: Pulled Pork-it's whats for Breakfast/Lunch and Dinner

Jay, thought I'd let you know - I discovered the very best way to spend 8 hours on a Saturday. I smoked a 6-pound pork shoulder on my weber charcoal grill. I went all-out, too. I used a homemade rub and let it cure overnight. Then I put it on the grill around noon, using lump charcoal and soaked hickory chips. I had to add charcoal and wood chips about once per hour, and I also slathered it with a homemade mop sauce each time. By about 7:30 it was perfect, with a black crust all over, a beautiful pink smoke ring and fall-apart juicy tenderness. I made a (in my opinion) delicious, Carolina-style vinegar BBQ sauce, too, but my wife and kids wouldn't try it. It was a lot of work, but it turned out so good I am definitely going to do it again, maybe for Labor Day. And I'll be using a bigger shoulder - the one I made was half gone in one night! I also grilled a bunch of veggies, using the mop sauce as a marinade, and they turned out awesome too.

If you're interested in the recipes I used for the rub and the sauces, let me know. I got them from a book called "How to Grill" - I would be happy to post them. I'm glad to hear yours turned out so well - I think tonight I will try a variation of the recipe you used in the slow cooker.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 AM   #32
Scott Kustes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Scott, sounds like a great job. You every train with Joey at his AF?

Christin, kind words, thanks.
Yeah, I go to Joey's religiously. Been going since about October. I haven't been going much lately since most of my time has been spent at the track, but I'll be getting back into the gym more after this weekend.

Sean, that sounds awesome. Please post the recipes.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:15 AM   #33
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Sean;

That does sound awesome. One of these days when I'm home all day, I will definitly smoke something, maybe ribs, roast, or pork.
Way to go on making your own sauces and rubs.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #34
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

I love the slow cooker. Actually my wife loves it. Throw in a bunch of stuff, come back many hours later and eat it.

She made some short ribs for July 4th that were just stinkin' great. Started cooking 'em the evening of the 3rd, cooked 'em way slow overnight and until about 3:00 on the 4th, and they were so stinkin' good it wasn't even funny.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #35
Chris Lampe

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Pulled Pork-it's whats for Breakfast/Lunch and Dinner

Last night I went to the store looking for a pork butt so I could try pulled port in the smoker but they didn't have any. However, they did have brisket on sale so I went with Plan B. I simply put a little salt and pepper on it, added 2 oz of hickory wood to the smoker, probed it, set the smoker on 225 degrees and left it overnight. About 12 hours later it hit 200 degrees and voila! I carved the excess fat of, sliced it into chunks and chopped up enough to fill a large bowl. I like mine with BBQ sauce and it was delicious. I was fully prepared for my first try to be a disaster!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 PM   #36
Paul Epstein

Profile:

do pigs actually eat grass? in omnivores dilemna he talks about pigs eating fermented cord kernals and wild pigs eating accorns. i know for a fact they would eat meat if available.

im not so sure pigs eat grass. does anyone have any information about the types of fat found in pigs fed on various diets?

actually i found this (wonder of google)

"Wild pigs will eat practically anything, but their primary diet is leaves and grasses, roots, fruits and flowers. They will eat insects and dead carcasses and strip bark off trees. There are stories of swine killing snakes and such, but I have not actually seen that.
Domestic pigs are usually fed a diet of processed pellet feed. They seem to like it, even pigs with access to grazing areas and free time to forage just love their dinner pellets."
Old 07-16-2008, 12:36 AM   #37
Chris Drewry

Profile:

whats all this talk of barb-q.

You guys need to come to Memphis in May when we have the World Championship Barb-q festival.

mmmmmmmm
Old 07-16-2008, 01:59 AM   #38
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Epstein View Post
do pigs actually eat grass? in omnivores dilemna he talks about pigs eating fermented cord kernals and wild pigs eating accorns. i know for a fact they would eat meat if available.

im not so sure pigs eat grass. does anyone have any information about the types of fat found in pigs fed on various diets?

actually i found this (wonder of google)

"Wild pigs will eat practically anything, but their primary diet is leaves and grasses, roots, fruits and flowers. They will eat insects and dead carcasses and strip bark off trees. There are stories of swine killing snakes and such, but I have not actually seen that.
Domestic pigs are usually fed a diet of processed pellet feed. They seem to like it, even pigs with access to grazing areas and free time to forage just love their dinner pellets."
Paul, you are correct as I got corrected on my blog. They do not eat grass.
I do know that they were Hormone free and eat good stuff and lived on a great farm......
Old 07-16-2008, 01:59 AM   #39
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Drewry View Post
whats all this talk of barb-q.

You guys need to come to Memphis in May when we have the World Championship Barb-q festival.

mmmmmmmm
Dang, missed it this year, next year for sure.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:24 AM   #40
Paul Epstein

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Paul, you are correct as I got corrected on my blog. They do not eat grass.
I do know that they were Hormone free and eat good stuff and lived on a great farm......
good stuff. i envy you guys in the states - the grass fed free range organic thing is definitely alot more progressed than it is here.