CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
Alex Reynolds

Profile:
CrossFit with a side of bodybuilding.

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what you all thought about doing a little bit of "aesthetic work" with CrossFit. For example, I did thrusters and pullups workout todays, so I thought I would work in a little bench or do some curls - yes that's right curls.

I love crossfit and am damn happy with my body as a result, but I guess the globo devils tempt me to often with a curl or press here and there. I have been doing crossfit for about 3 years, and am lean and mean as a result, but being a 23 year old male, sometimes the bodybuilding crap does look attractive from the ladies end.

On a serious side, what do you think would be the effects of putting in an isolation lift or two after the X-fit workout. Stronger? Negative Effects? Not much effect at all? I've always that it couldn't hurt, but am interested in what everyone else thinks.

This is probably all a childish result of me going on a canoe trip with some friends of mind who are bodybuilder types, who look all big and ripped, but I know deep down I am stronger and faster than both of them. So I was like "hell I will throw in some curls and some more ab stuff after my X-fit and get the best of both worlds".
Old 06-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
Damon Stewart

Profile:
Re: CrossFit with a side of bodybuilding.

Weighted chins would be more functional and if your palm faced in have much the same effect. Rippetoe wrote about curls somewhere...something to the effect of he knows guys are going to do them so at least do them right. The purists may be you up but I'd say a set of hammer curls after a WOD wouldn't be the end of the world. Isn't your arm mostly tricep though? Weighted ring dips as part of your warmup would also help and have some nice carryover. Regarding the abs, 5 x 5's on the GHD and the right diet are all you need.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Reynolds View Post
but am interested in what everyone else thinks.
This need should fade by your late twenties. It's very liberating when it does.

Like Damon said, if you want to do curls then do curls. At best, you'll get slightly larger guns, at worst, you'll only waste a small amount of time. But don't do hammer curls, which are largely a forearm exercise. Do straight barbell curls.

I also vote for weighted pullups and some tricep work (preferably from more pressing).
Old 06-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Functional is as functional does.
If one of your workout goals is big arms and chest for aesthetics (At 23 it was one of mine.) and your already doing multijoint exercises (SS/CF) and you have the time and energy for some arms why not? But if you save something for the curls at the end you may be missing the point.

I put on a lot of that sarco something muscle doing CF as rxed, which meant I had to break up sets at rep counts in the "hypertrophic" range, I think. This is based on Gants Hybrid program thread between him Joey and Steven. YMMV
Old 06-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
Derek Weaver

Profile:

there's a reason that the old school bodybuilders always did and still do focus on the compound exercises first.... they work.

Isolation exercises may make a muscle look a bit "prettier", but they don't do much for growth. Like Gant said, you may end up with slightly larger guns, but nothing special.

You want a big chest, do your squats and deadlifts. You want big arms, do your squats and deadlifts. Mix in your presses and some heavy chins, add a gallon of milk on the side and you'll be "hyoooge" (couldn't resist).
Old 06-25-2008, 10:53 PM   #6
Matt Thomas

Profile:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1106/...27bc2c3002.jpg

BLAM!!!!

Best bodybuilder ever!!!

Oh wait he's a weightlifter

Just yankin your chain man. But really if you're patient enough you'll probably get where you want just by lifting heavy stuff and eating right. I'm starting to get happier with it and I don't even lift that heavy yet.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:42 AM   #7
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

I do curls. Even though I do, I all of a sudden don't get unfunctional.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
Nick Gagnon

Profile:

I don't know, I did some curls the other day and suddenly I forgot how to walk up the stairs.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

I personally don't see anything wrong about training at least partially for aesthetic purposes as well as for a better functioning body. If I knew that working out, and eating right wasn't going to improve my lean muscle mass, and help me be lean, and strong looking, as well as acting, it would be hard to stay motivated. Like others have said, if you want to work your arms more, do it, by adding in functional lifts like chin ups, instead of just curls.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
Shane Rapp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
I personally don't see anything wrong about training at least partially for aesthetic purposes as well as for a better functioning body. If I knew that working out, and eating right wasn't going to improve my lean muscle mass, and help me be lean, and strong looking, as well as acting, it would be hard to stay motivated. Like others have said, if you want to work your arms more, do it, by adding in functional lifts like chin ups, instead of just curls.
I agree. Almost everyone trains at least partially for aesthetic reasons whether they want to admit it or not. It may not be their focus but it's certainly something they care about to some degree and they should, especially if they're in a relationship. No one would appreciate their partner not giving one rat's butt about looking decent for them. There's nothing wrong with that.