CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 05-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
David Gessen

Profile:
Hang power clean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Fa3uSJbyw
WFS

Can't handle the big plates(45's) so I'm doing hang power clean until I can.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Hang power clean

Drive you elbows up harder on the rack. You are catching the bar with you forearms almost vertical. You should catch the clean in the rack position. TO do that you must explosively drive your elbows up at the catch.

Also, what where you doing with your grip? After every rep, you would catch the bar in your lap and do something with it. WHat was that something?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
David Gessen

Profile:

Fixing the hook grip, you must do that...

Coach burgener said that you must fix the hook grip every rep, I can't recall If Rip mentioned that too in his book but I think he do.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Why don't you just grab a couple of these... uhm... step up aerobic things... you know the things the chicks in their aerobics class jump up to and off a bazillion times? I have no idea what they're called but they're lyring around all over the place at every globogym I've been to.

Anyway, grab a couple of those, set your weights down onto them and that way you can clean from a dead stop at the ground even if you don't have full sized plates.

Even if you don't have some of the aerobics thingies you can still just grab a couple of plates to put the weights onto.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Hook grip, gotcha, makes sense. I'm still using overhand, trying to work my grip. I would put the weight on the floor, fix then lift again. But thats just me.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
Brad Thompson

Profile:

I agree about the catch. For me this was difficult to get until I got proper flexibility in my wrists/elbows/shoulders. Practice with an empty bar (or pvc or dowel) getting in the proper rack position - this will be a good stretch.

On another note: if you pause the vid at 13 seconds, you'll see that the initial deadlift is off. Your starting position looks fine, but your shoulders are not rising with your hips. Keep the angle your torso makes with the floor as you drive your hips up or you are going to end up doing "good mornings."

Last: these are not hang cleans. The hang clean doesn't have a deadlift - just a dip and drive.

wfs http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/c...ower-clean.mov

Last edited by Brad Thompson : 05-09-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:16 AM   #7
David Gessen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Thompson View Post
I agree about the catch. For me this was difficult to get until I got proper flexibility in my wrists/elbows/shoulders. Practice with an empty bar (or pvc or dowel) getting in the proper rack position - this will be a good stretch.

On another note: if you pause the vid at 13 seconds, you'll see that the initial deadlift is off. Your starting position looks fine, but your shoulders are not rising with your hips. Keep the angle your torso makes with the floor as you drive your hips up or you are going to end up doing "good mornings."

Last: these are not hang cleans. The hang clean doesn't have a deadlift - just a dip and drive.

wfs http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/c...ower-clean.mov
could you explain your self again?
Recently I've read the deadlift part of Starting Strength(1st edition:stir for the 2nd time and rip says that first the knees angles opens, then when the bar passes the knees the torso angle starts to open.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:30 AM   #8
Brad Thompson

Profile:

What Rip says is (of course) correct. My interpretation of this is that you DON'T close the angle either. That is, maintain the angle between your torso and the floor until the bar passes the knees - then open the hips. In your vid - it appears that you are closing the angle first.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

These are sort of a cross between hang power cleans and power cleans. Usually the hang clean starts at or a little below the part of your leg the bar would hit if doing a clean. David is working his way down to a clean off the ground, not actaully working on the hang clean.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
Brandon Oto

Profile:

It shouldn't be hard to find something to put the bar on and take it from the floor... but either way you could still be doing SQUAT cleans. Or are you doing power cleans intentionally (a la as part of SS)?

Looks decent, actually. At that bar speed I want to see more weight.