CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 05-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:
Snatch

So I snatched for the first time today, and here are the results: (yeahhhhh, don't mind that second attempt...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBtzsxQ6bV8WFS??

Only brought it up to 115 lbs. b/c it was sketchy enough. I have a premature armbend here that I need to work on in my cleans as well.

Comments/Critiques?!

Thanks!

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 06-03-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Maximilian Mormont

Profile:
Re: Snatch

It looks great. Try and widen your grip. This will help with the squat in the over head position and will make the pull not as long. Good first pull! keep getting tall. I think your back could be a little tighter at bottom. Activate your lats and push that bar into your hips. Over all the lift looks really good!!!

CoachMax
Old 05-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Ryan Stitt

Profile:

It does look pretty good to me as well (from my basic understandings of the lift). Your back position looks excellent. One thing you are dealing with is a longer first pull due to the undersized weights (and as Max mentioned, your narrow grip). Also, don't hurry to stand up out of the receiving position. Make sure you are balanced. Same goes when you bring your feet together.

Final thing. When learning form, don't worry about reps. Just do one at a time and think about what you are doing. Form/technique is the ultimate in these lifts.

By the way, check out Max's avatar...that is an awesome depiction of extension in the second pull as he transfers his momentum downward with the bend in his arms for the third pull...Thats a ton of weight too

Last edited by Ryan Stitt : 05-08-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Ben I won't pretend to be an expert in any of these lifts that you're posting up lately, but just thought I'd say that for someone who I don't think has been here for very long, or doing them for very long, you are progressing incredibly well and should be pretty *****ing happy with how your lifts are looking without any direct coaching. I wish I had seen that kind of form/progress early on (or even now!) in my own lifts.

I think I noticed a very slight arm bend early on that probably could have made things more efficient, and agree that the grip could be a little wider depending your your flexibility (which I'm guessing is fine).

Other than that I'll leave the remaining criticisms to the experts, and just say keep up the good work.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Definantly could go much wider in the grip and really try to get full deapth for the overhead squat, looks like your doing more of a power snatch not a full snatch

-Robert
Old 05-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
Ben I won't pretend to be an expert in any of these lifts that you're posting up lately, but just thought I'd say that for someone who I don't think has been here for very long, or doing them for very long, you are progressing incredibly well and should be pretty *****ing happy with how your lifts are looking without any direct coaching. I wish I had seen that kind of form/progress early on (or even now!) in my own lifts.
Thanks a lot Elliot. Yeah I haven't been at these lifts long, and I still have a lot of work to do, but I've been pretty happy myself with how things have progressed. I think a lot of it comes from watching youtube and performancemenu videos over and over until the movements were pounded into my skull.
Another huge help has been videotaping myself. Although I don't have a coach, I can walk to the camera and get instant feedback (especially in slow-mo) on what my form looks like and how I can fix things. And having a video lets me post here, where I've gotten invaluable information from those much more knowledgeable than myself.