CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
Rollo Hilbery

Profile:

How do you do the 4th week at 'Half-intensity'?

This may sound like a stupid question but i have problems with this. I mean, is that you do your WODs as prescribed but just half-assed? Or do you scale it? What?
Old 04-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Ian Haya

Profile:
Re: How do you do the 4th week at 'Half-intensity'?

I haven't done one myself but I've kind of wondered this as well.

If you define intensity as average Power (Work/Time), then in ones for time, you'd do the workouts, but take twice as long. Or in a AMRAP workout, you'd do half the reps you normally do, but take the full (usually 20 minutes) time. Or you want to do the same number of reps, but with half the weight in the same amount of time.

Given CrossFitters tendancy to want to go all out, I think it might be hard to just take it slow. I wonder if it would be just as good a break to do "Half-Workload", full intensity? Maybe this is what is actually meant instead of Half-Intensity.

Example: If you can do a 20 round Cindy, instead of doing 10 rounds in 20 minutes (half intensity), go for 10 rounds in 10 minutes (half workload, full intensity). Helen could then be 3rds, 200m run, 21 12kg kb swing or 11 1.5pood swings, 6 pullups. Fran could be 21-15-9 45/50# thrusters, 11-8-4 pullups or just 11-8-4 95# thrusters and pullups.

If you do it that way, I think you still get the benefits of high intensity, while the overall workload is low enough to allow for "active recovery". If I were to do something like Angie at "Half-intensity", it doesn't matter if I take twice as long, doing 100 pullups in one session is going to knock me down.

My take would be:
run/row - 50% distance
bodyweight (pullup, pushup, etc.) - 50% reps
weighted movements (thruster, kb swings, etc.) - 50% load or 50% reps
for time: still go for time, but since you're doing half the work, it should be close to half the time
AMRAP: 50% time

So is it the intensity or the workload that we need to take a break from? My guess is the workload more so than the intensity.

I'm probably reading too much into this though. It's probably just as simple as "do the movements, but take it easy".