CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #81
Phillip Garrison

Profile:
Re: more Louie Simmons: Olympic lifts not good for sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Powell View Post
I would bet that Louie would claim that Dragomir, could indeed produce world-champion IPF lifters.

I would also bet that each of those men have the analytic mind, keen eye, and other talents to produce World class athletes in any strength endeavor.
I'm not doubting Louie is a bright guy, but he continues to make opinions about a sport in which he's neither competed, nor trained athletes in, which IMO, hurts his credibility in talking about the lifts of that sport, or the sport itself, both in a positive, or negative manner. In fact, other than PL, and some NFL guys, Louie hasn't produced a champion in any sport. Louie is a smart guy, but he's also a master of self promotion.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #82
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Damn right. Do I think Louie Simmons could produce a world champion Olympic lifter? You bet your *** I do.

The CF community (along with many others) gets its feathers ruffled if it gets poked in the eye. Instead of saying, "hey, he's making fun of my Olympic lifting, this guy doesn't know anything," ask yourself what you might be able to learn from him. How are we bashing sport-specific training, powerlifting, and the greedy Louie Simmons all in one thread?

Louie Simmons flat out knows his ****. He has studied the techniques of the top lifters around the world and has put much thought into his own program. And he has results. Yes, he has coached Olympic lifters at Westside (not on their technique, but on strengthening the muscles that perform the technique--what a remarkable concept!), and they got stronger. Anybody interested in getting stronger should listen to what Louie says. Rip and Pendlay have both integrated some of his principles into their own programs, including the OLY lifts.

Westside guys are strong. Chemicals and lifting suits aside, do you really think a 900 pound deadlifter/1000 pound squatter--who trains using explosive techniques--couldn't learn to turn a bar over on a clean? Get real.

Those of you who think he's doing this for money can go here. wfs. It's a collection of Westside articles provided to the public for free. He has a dozen interviews out there on the web, as long as a Q&A page on ************.
No one is doubting that Louie doesn't know alot, but, he has strong opinions about a sport he's never coached or competed in. One of my colleagues disagrees with him about the full lifts being bad for sports, and this man has trained 4 Olympians, and a 5th one will be competing this summer. IMO he's as knowledgable as Louie, but not as good as promoting as Louie is.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #83
Gant Grimes

Profile:

A lot of people have strong opinions in US weightlifting. Do you think we're on the right path?
Old 04-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #84
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
A lot of people have strong opinions in US weightlifting. Do you think we're on the right path?
I think things could definatly be better in US weightlifting. I think part of why, the rest of the world is so dominant, is partially the caliber of athletes, competing. Many of the top lifters in other countries, if they were born here would probably be in the NFL,or MLB making millions of dollars a year. Most of the top power athletes in the US gravitate towards more lucrative careers in team sports, as opposed to Olympic sports.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #85
Joey Powell

Profile:

It also follows that most of the U.S. lifters tend to not be as physically strong as those that are better than them with similar physical attributes.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:10 PM   #86
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Powell View Post
It also follows that most of the U.S. lifters tend to not be as physically strong as those that are better than them with similar physical attributes.
Strength isn't always the best predictor of performance. Vasily wasn't the strongest lifter in the squat/front squat, but was a perennial champion in WL
Old 04-08-2008, 07:28 AM   #87
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
Strength isn't always the best predictor of performance. Vasily wasn't the strongest lifter in the squat/front squat, but was a perennial champion in WL
And Niam Front Squatted 520lbs which was 100 over his WR C&J. Maybe it's time for American WLs to try a new approach and have someone train them stronger.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #88
Andy Wagner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
I'm not doubting Louie is a bright guy, but he continues to make opinions about a sport in which he's neither competed, nor trained athletes in, which IMO, hurts his credibility in talking about the lifts of that sport, or the sport itself, both in a positive, or negative manner. In fact, other than PL, and some NFL guys, Louie hasn't produced a champion in any sport. Louie is a smart guy, but he's also a master of self promotion.
Actually, Louie did start out as a competitive Olympic Lifter. He does have some experience. I am not saying he had any impact to the sport, but he does have a little bit of Olympic lifting knowledge.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #89
Andy Wagner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
You can CrossFit all your life and suck at most sports due to a myriad of reasons, but my guess is you will pick them up a lot faster than people who don't do CrossFit. If you don't play sports, you will be one of the few (ever-growing few) very functional people in society which is worth more than any sport will get you.
Yup, that is me. I suck at most sports. I am not a coordinated individual. However, crossfit does let me be a little more competitive at many sports due to a better than average amount of strength, power, aerobic and anaerobic stamina than most weekend warriors my age.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #90
Andy Wagner

Profile:

I saw where Gary Valentine replied to this thread. There is an individual with a strong Olympic Lifting competitive and coaching background.