CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #61
Gary Valentine

Profile:
Re: more Louie Simmons: Olympic lifts not good for sports

wow, such ignorance. has he produced an Olympic lifter yet, after all his talk and pretending to know so much about it? talk about a little bit of learning being dangerous! top level athletes need evry advantage they can get from the weight room, so yes, full sqaut cleans with big wieghts explosively develop the body to the highest degree. its usually those that dont know how to teach them that think they cant be learned by other athletes.

this is the SAID principle being totally misapplied, something that is becoming very common unfortunately. so now the experts tell us we shouldnt even pick up a bar from the floor! well how do they get it to the hang in the first place?! heres another viewpoint- reminds of a a lifter that came to me to learn to compete in OL. he could hang clean good weights, but never did the full lifts because his schools "strnegth coach" said the second pull was more powerful so thats all they did. when i asked him to show me how he got the bar to the hang, he bent over and picked it up with a horrible, rounded back. i said "your coach watched you pick up a bar like that for 4 years?" ignorance to the point of stupidiity.

If you called it core strnegth and stability to practice holding the neutral spine in the first pull, then you'll have enouch buzz words for these experts to allow you to do it. and yes FULL cleans. period. its ok to pull, its ok to sqaut, but God forbid you do them one after another and call it a sqaut clean! you'ld be practicing action/reaction, focus, timing and coordination - no athlete needs that! Louies used some OL principles - from his trips to russia early in his career-to produce some good plers. he's off base here saying full cleans should not be recommended to other sports athletes. -g
Old 04-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #62
John Seiler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
No, sprinters aren't "in the hole" when they start out. You show me a sprinter who starts where both legs are calves to hamstrings, and I'll show you one slow sprinter off the start. Similarly, none of those other sports are "in the hole" when the movement starts either. But, weightlifting, the movement starts much lower than those other sports, hence the "slow" (controlled being a better word) initial pull.
Who said anything about "in the hole"? I'm talking about instantly firing the muscles regardless of starting point.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:41 PM   #63
David Wood

Profile:

When the weight gets heavy, I'm coming off the floor with everything I've got. It may look slow and controlled (heck, it probably *is* slow), but I ain't trying to make it so . . .
Old 04-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #64
Jason Staples

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Valentine View Post
wow, such ignorance. has he produced an Olympic lifter yet, after all his talk and pretending to know so much about it? talk about a little bit of learning being dangerous!
Um, I think that's actually his point. He's not trying to produce Olympic lifters -- he's training athletes for specific sports. There's a difference between the two, and he's just pointing out one of the differences.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #65
George Mounce

Profile:

So do you all agree yet, he's doing something for a sport which per coach is the highest level of expression. He saying this works for a specific function. Great! I'm all for that. Sport is specific, fine train specifically for it. I would rather be in the top 20% of any sport than be good at just one though, so I'm going to continue to train for anything that may come up in life.

Here was the image I made from the last cert.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../Hierarchy.jpg
Old 04-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #66
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

George,

Just for clarity on the diagram...does "weighlifting" there mean specifically olympic lifting or does that include all lifting of external resistance (i.e. powerlifting, kettlebells, etc)?

Thanks...

howard
Old 04-06-2008, 01:48 AM   #67
Alex Blum

Profile:

this thread is kind of chock full of armchair quarterbacks second guessing one of the best strength training minds of our era, calling him a liar, ignorant, et cetera . . . kind of blows my mind
Old 04-06-2008, 05:32 AM   #68
Joey Powell

Profile:

Yup. Surprising actually.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #69
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blum View Post
this thread is kind of chock full of armchair quarterbacks second guessing one of the best strength training minds of our era, calling him a liar, ignorant, et cetera . . . kind of blows my mind
There's nothing wrong with that IF he doesn't provide an explanation.

Statements without backup or support should not be taken seriously no matter who they're coming from.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #70
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

yep, I just do not see how full Olympic lifts are not good for me
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19