CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #111
Daniel Barulich

Profile:
Re: more Louie Simmons: Olympic lifts not good for sports

I think Pavel said it best, "I am not against Olympic Lifting so much as I am against its indiscriminate application".

How much utility does a baseball player or tennis player really derive from Olympic lifting? The mentality on this board seems to be that Oly lifting must be applied to every athlete. Considering the Olympic lifts are highly technical, and the time spent training/applying the methods come at the expense of other skill work.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #112
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Aren't Oly lifts prescribed for explosiveness. seems to me running out a single would be helped by that. IIRC there's a legend about a weightlifter beating a sprinter in a 40.

Last edited by Robert D Taylor Jr : 04-18-2008 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-19-2008, 05:09 AM   #113
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Aren't Oly lifts prescribed for explosiveness. seems to me running out a single would be helped by that. IIRC there's a legend about a weightlifter beating a sprinter in a 40.
I think it was weightlifters tested against the olympic podium in the 100m sprint, and they beat the sprinters at 40m (though they got creamed at 100m obviously)
Old 04-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #114
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
I think it was weightlifters tested against the olympic podium in the 100m sprint, and they beat the sprinters at 40m (though they got creamed at 100m obviously)
Yep, they get an initial advantage off the blocks because of their explosive hip extension.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:53 AM   #115
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Flamm View Post
How about pitching in baseball? Slow, controlled, balanced, then... explode... Same applies to a tennis serve. Maybe Louie doesn't consider baseball and tennis to be sports.
this could also be said of gymnastics. many slow to explosive moves in tumbling and apparatus. i think its a sport.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #116
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I wonder why gymnasts don't use olympic lifts then. No sarcastic tones there. I really do wonder if it had any benefit for them why they wouldn't implement it?

That's a funny signature Steven
Old 04-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #117
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
I wonder why gymnasts don't use olympic lifts then. No sarcastic tones there. I really do wonder if it had any benefit for them why they wouldn't implement it?

That's a funny signature Steven
Some gymnastics programs do now.

In reality, most gymnastics programs are fairly suboptimal when it comes to strength and conditioning actually. People like Coach Sommer and Roger Harrell are exceptions.

Not really... people keep telling me that I shouldn't diagnose so.. satisfies everyone.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #118
Robert Wolf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Barulich View Post
The mentality on this board seems to be that Oly lifting must be applied to every athlete. Considering the Olympic lifts are highly technical, and the time spent training/applying the methods come at the expense of other skill work.
Well, this schmucks mentality is that the OL's are indispensable in the training of athletes, including tennis players. But, what do I know...I just pay my bills doing this stuff!

Also, I was a california state champion PL'er.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #119
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Not really... people keep telling me that I shouldn't diagnose so.. satisfies everyone.

I just thought it was funny because people seeking your advice has probably gotten to such a high level that you have to put a disclaimer on yourself. But hey. That only says good things about you.

Oh and by the by. What's everyone's oppinion on that clean from the knees deal? Seems like it'd be tough as nails, but are the benefits high enough to learn it? I guess if Louie thinks so then it can't hurt to at least try it. Just wanted to know if anyone else had some experience with it though.

Last edited by Matt Thomas : 04-19-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #120
Daniel Barulich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wolf View Post
Well, this schmucks mentality is that the OL's are indispensable in the training of athletes, including tennis players. But, what do I know...I just pay my bills doing this stuff!

Also, I was a california state champion PL'er.
See, now you're just misrepresenting what I said. What I said, and implied, when quoting Pavel, was that Olympic lifting is often times sought as an ends within itself.

Can you name any Tennis players that integrate the Olympic lifts into their training programs? What specific benefit would Roger Federer derive from training heavy snatches for 40-60 minutes as opposed to going out and working on his footwork and serve?