CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-17-2008, 01:07 AM   #1
Cody Black

Profile:
Knees popping

Currently when I do air squats my knees pop a lot and when I run on pavement my right one tends to hurt a lot more, is there anything I can do to strengthen my knees?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Knees popping

Weighted squats.

Although I don't know if you should be doing anything if the popping is hurting. STOP when that happens.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
Ian Kovtunovich

Profile:

I wrecked my knees in early December; they are just now getting back to normal.

After buying Rippetoe's book, I realized I was doing a ton of stuff wrong with my squats. Knees started hurting after doing front squats for the first time, so I figure this was the culprit. After about 3-4 weeks of almost no leg exercises, I started hitting the rower for the first time, and that has been great--no pain from the C2, but good exercise. I'm at about 6 weeks out now, and just did DLs the other day, and those were fine.

I tend to play it kind of conservative with injuries, but I've never failed to recover by resting for several weeks and then slowly returning to activity (I don't mean ceasing ALL activity; just the stuff that hurts!).
Old 01-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Nick Hanson

Profile:

So in regards to the knees popping, that shouldn't be a problem. I have had that my whole life, and my crossfit coach, Kelly Starrett, who is also has a PHD in physical therapy says its not an issue. In regards to your knees hurting when you run that could be a couple of things. If its on the outside of your knee, its probably that your IT band is tight. That just needs better stretching with a foam roller. If its anywhere else on your knee, stop running and go see a doctor.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Comes down to whether the knee popping is symptomatic or asymptomatic (sp on both). As long as the popping doesn't hurt, not much of a concern. If it hurts, then you have to look at the source of the pain and try to strengthen whatever's weak, or avoid what causes the pain.

I went a few about six months without squatting because of right knee pain. Went to my Ortho who spent 45 mintues explaining what was wrong with me - which was thinning cartilidge behind my patella. At the end, he told me there was nothing he could do other than the evasive procedure Greg Oden had done a few months back (microfascial somethingerother). In any event, when I explained everything to my wife, she summed it up in a one sentence, "so you have to stop being such a **ssy."

With that in mind, I ordered some Tommy Kono knee sleeves and haven't had any problems since. Not only am I squatting, but I've been olympic lifting every other day for the past four months. No pain at all.

Sometimes you just have to wrap it, ice it, and grab the bull by the horns.

good luck and get well

All the best,
Arden