CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 09-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
Dennis Barrett

Profile:
Small Accomplishment

When I first started CrossFit, I did the standards test for beginning atheletes. I had a static hang of 1 min. 15 sec.
I was watching some show about Jack Osborne trying to become a rock climber. At some point, during his metamorphosis, he commented that at one point he had been hanging by one hand.
I thought I should try this....No way! I had no one handed hang time what so ever. Hanging by two hands, if I opened either hand the other opened at the same rate. If I started with one hand, and slowly bent my knees my hand would open.
That was a year ago. This morning I thought to try it again. I have about 12 sec. with each hand. No big deal, but I thought it was pretty cool. I assume it was the barbell/dumbbell and ring work, as I haven't done any real "grip" work.

Dennis B.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #2
Mike Peiman

Profile:
Re: Small Accomplishment

On that subject - I've also been interested in the challenge of one-hand hangs. Haven't timed myself yet, I'm curious now. But I have set for myself a goal of a true one-arm pullup by the end of this year. I'll have to play with leverage, strict pullups, and the gravitron at the rec centre when I get a chance.

Tried something different in my workout today - one-arm hangs while holding a KB in my other hand, and pressing overhead while in the one-arm hang position. Freakin' tough! Some chalk would have helped the grip. But enough challenge that I'll incorporate a bit of that into my work for variety.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peiman View Post
On that subject - I've also been interested in the challenge of one-hand hangs. Haven't timed myself yet, I'm curious now. But I have set for myself a goal of a true one-arm pullup by the end of this year. I'll have to play with leverage, strict pullups, and the gravitron at the rec centre when I get a chance.

Tried something different in my workout today - one-arm hangs while holding a KB in my other hand, and pressing overhead while in the one-arm hang position. Freakin' tough! Some chalk would have helped the grip. But enough challenge that I'll incorporate a bit of that into my work for variety.
thats sweet. like a kettlebell clean and press in a one arm hang
Old 05-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Mike Peiman

Profile:

Exactly!