CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 09-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Crossfit style competitions for "the masses"

I attended a "fitness" competition today, it was basically one of those "x mile run, or x mile walk, yadda yadda..." Not what I'd term "overall fitness", but obviously one aspect of it.

It got me thinking, my speedskating club has ridiculously high ice costs, and so we're always looking for a good fundraiser that we can put on to supplement our ice bill. What if we were to put together a Crossfit style fitness competition, that included everything under the sun in terms of fitness? Since it's going to draw a ton of non-CF people, it'd obviously have to be something that wouldn't cause Rhabdo in the untrained, and especially in the "I'm in great shape" crowd (although I would love to do a hopper style portion of the competition).

Has anyone seen anything like this done before? I've got some ideas, but I'd kinda like to copy off something that's already been successfully done and proven.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: Crossfit style competitions for "the masses"

A while back, I was watching a reality show on fit-tv called The Gym. They had such an event to raise money for some charity, I think.

They had stations set up with staff at each station. Some of the things I remember: number of pushups in one minute; number of pull-ups in one minute, squat thrusts in one minute; stations set up with 3 different weights for dead lifts, bench presses, leg presses; they had rope ladders laid out for running through the squares (like football players running through tires); climbing ropes.

What you could do is have people buy tickets on a per-station basis so they can participate in just which stations they want to. You could have a wall of fame for anybody who completes the whole course.

It's a fun idea.

Susie
Old 09-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Oh, and maybe you could get local businesses to donate prizes? Or your rink to offer ice time as a prize?

Susie
Old 09-02-2007, 10:49 PM   #4
James Forbes

Profile:

matt,
I love the idea. What a great way to get people involved in CF.