CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-09-2006, 06:22 AM   #41
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
So we get another fight where Ken gets to whine about a early stoppage (Sak was the last one). Ken needs to realize that when someone is using your head for a punching bag, the fight gets stopped.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:58 AM   #42
Rod Pettiford

Profile:
While I would have liked to see the fight continue, based on the rules, I agree with the stoppage of the Ortiz/Shamrock fight. With his head blocked against the fence, Shamrock made no attempt to defend any of the 5 or 6 elbows Tito laid down on him.

The Sylvia/Arlovski fight was probably the most boring championship fight I have ever seen, boxing included. In fact, it was a boxing match; not a single takedown attempt by either fighter.

If the UFC expects to continue to make significant inroads into the mainstream ticket/PPV-buying audiences, they will need to put better fight cards together than this one.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:29 AM   #43
Jason Steele

Profile:
After watching the Sylvia v. Arlovski fight, I think that it will be a while before I dish out money to watch the UFC. Tito's fight was good for the minute that it lasted, I am sure Shamrock will whine and want another, you would think he would learn his lesson, but after so many blows to the head his memory may be lagging. Tito looked well conditioned and came out fast, just like the last time. Ken must not have learned anything from the last fight...
Old 07-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #44
Tim Jing

Profile:

Thought the Joe Stevenson and Ives Edwards fight was great. 2 different styles and see who makes a mistake.

Old 07-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #45
David Luu

Profile:
it was the worst ufc event i've ever seen. the tuf 3 final had much better fights and those guys were relative rookies. i don't totally blame the ufc b/c the cards looked good on paper, but i'm going to think really hard before paying for another event.

as for the ken/tito fight, if i were the ref, i would not have called it that early. while i understand the argument and i agree that it follows the letter of the rules, i've seen lots of other fights were a decision was not called that early. for such an important fight, i would have given ken at least a little more of a chance.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:03 PM   #46
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
for such an important fight, i would have given ken at least a little more of a chance.

Important? Tito was at -500 going into that fight. If it was a football game, the spread would have been about 80 points. Nobody gave Ken a chance to win that fight. Absent some miracle like Tito knocking himself out during a takedown, it was a forgone conclusion that Ken was going to lose. So I wouldn't exactly call this fight an important fight. More like a fight that had no other purpose but to attract viewers who aren't familiar with the sport.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:54 PM   #47
Ronnie Boose

Profile:
The best thing about UFC 61 is that Wanderlei is supposedly signed to a 3 fight deal with the UFC. So we may finally get to see Chuck vs. Wanderlei.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #48
John Vernon

Profile:
My 2 cents:
Stevenson v. Edwards: Good fight, but I hate seeing fights end due to a cut.
Ortiz v. Shamrock: not surprised, good publicity stunt though.
Burkman v. Neer: Great fight, tons of energy by both fighters.
Everything else: blah.

I do agree with Ronnie about the best thing UFC 61 had to offer...Wanderlei back in a cage!

(Message edited by john_vernon on July 09, 2006)

(Message edited by john_vernon on July 09, 2006)
Old 07-10-2006, 06:55 AM   #49
Jeff Gentry

Profile:
well the stoppage may have been the best for Ken, after all Tito did say he wanted to be the first to send someone to the hospital for a significant amout of time(namely he wanted to significantly hurt Ken) and i would not doubt that Tito meant that, So maybe because of that the ref. didn't want to give Tito to much time to realy damage Ken.

Just my 2 cent's.

Jeff
Old 07-10-2006, 07:11 AM   #50
Kevin Burns

Profile:
if you take a slow motion look at the fight from the replay camera shot you can see the elbows in question. the first 1 landed good, 2nd one hit the top of his head. then ken shifted and turned his face. the last 3 elbows were anything but right on target. they were not smashing elbows either, they were meant to try and cut his face. 1 hit his shoulder, 1 glanced off his face, and another the top of the head. if you look at the right side of ken's face there was barely a mark on it. also if you watch it in slow motion you can see that ken was not limp and was moving to attempt something. just because he did not move his arms doesn't mean he wasn't intelligently defending himself. after the first 2 elbows he moved his head over.

What Dean saw was unfortunately not reality. But i can't say i wouldn't have done the same thing in his position. it probably looked much worse from his angle.