CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:10 PM   #1
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I love what these guys have to say.

http://www.straightblastgym.com/phil...3.html#philos3

The whole site is great. Check it out.
Robb
Old 07-08-2004, 04:43 AM   #2
Brian Hand

Profile:

Robb, thanks for the link, that is some great info. I have been meaning to start a cult and didn't quite know how to get started. Does anyone have an online source for white robes and / or sack cloth?

Old 07-08-2004, 04:44 AM   #3
Brian Hand

Profile:

KIDDING, I kid, I kid, I'm a kidder.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:47 AM   #4
Emil Berengut

Profile:
it's interesting... recently i purchased a dvd on the clinch from them. good stuff, yet almost half of the dvd was wasted on Matt and others lecturing on "aliveness". I was a little confused since I couldn't quite understand the emphasis on philosophy in an instructional dvd. Oh well...
Old 07-08-2004, 09:39 AM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Brian-

I almost spackled my computer with scrambled eggs! LMAO!

Emil-

The "aliveness" thing is really important, particularly as the trend in the JKD community has been towards ever more technique and patterns.

If you have the opportunity check out Rodney Kings boxing DVD's. IMO they are excellent. I recomended them to Jeff of Brand X martial arts
(I believe he also practices KM) and he really liked them. Email Jeff for his experiences if you like.
Robb
Old 07-08-2004, 01:30 PM   #6
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
I like their reading list...

Joseph Campbell's stuff is great... I'm currently reading Bertrand Russel. Also quite the opposite of mainstream religion.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:06 PM   #7
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Robb,

I read the review of King's instructional at http://sfuk.tripod.com/reviews/street_boxing.html. It sounds interesting. I'm curious if you've ever seen Hatmaker's Illegal Boxing series. If so, how do the two series compare?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
Old 07-09-2004, 05:02 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
The triangles are a intergral component of the martial art of Kali. I don't know this guy, but just looking at the article I would say he trained with my instructor Dan Inosanto. I'm pretty old school in the JKD community (since 1983) but a pretty good physical definition of JKD (which is not a physical martial art but philosophy) is CROSSFIT, which is why I am attracted to it. "Having no way as way, no limitation as limitation" covers JKD and Crossfit. IMO Bruce Lee would have been doing the WOD because it fits his philosophical framework.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:15 AM   #9
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Ryan-
I have not seen the tapes you mentioned. The Rodney Kings stuff is very non attribute based. It has some positions reminiscent of the philipino MA. It has really made sparring interesting again. Of all the stuff out there (much of it is actually pretty good these days) I'd really recommend Rodney's work and John Frankl's BJJ DVD (Unfortunately no percentage of the sales of these items will find its way to me!).

Larry-

That is where I had my start in '92 as well. I trained mainly with Dan Sullivan and had the good fortune to see the Torrance academy (Gracie's) before all hell broke loose.

Dan Sullivan mentioned a conversation he had with Dan Inosanto that went something like: " This MMA, Vale tudo stuff...that is JKD...WE should have been the ones doing the UFC etc."

Matt Thorton started with a "traditional" JKD background and has evolved things along the BJJ, Greco clinch, Muay Thai line. I think it is all fascinating and I am curious how things will continue to progress.
Robb
Old 07-09-2004, 02:41 PM   #10
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Aikido is all you need. As long as the MMA fighter grabs your wrist, does not resist, does not let go, and makes you look good, you'll do just fine.

:-)