CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
Neal Winkler

Profile:
I love plugging CrossFit to anyone and everyone that I can. I think that it is a great thing to improve peoples lives, and I enjoy trying to help people.

But, there is a drawback. It's the same drawback that I find as I plug BJJ. I love to tell people about BJJ as well, and I have invited plenty of people to come down to my BJJ school to learn.

The drawback is this: Sometimes I find myself thinking, "Why should I tell anyone about this stuff? The less people that know the better I seem in comparison! If I tell people about learning BJJ and Muay Thai ect. then that's all the more people that could potentially be able to beat me up! Why shouldn't I just let them keep thinking that Jet Li and Steven Segal can beat up everyone in the whole world?"

Same goes for CrossFit. The more people that know, the more people could potentially stomp a mud hole in me.

But, alas, I will continue to keep telling people that Jet Li and Steven Segal can't beat up everyone in the whole world, and that bodybuilding is a lousy way to get fit, because, after all, it is the right thing to do.

Am I alone on this?

Old 01-12-2006, 06:10 PM   #2
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
It is the neophytes pushing me from behind that make me try harder for excellence.

In both CF and Martial Arts. Besides, I know that out of every 100 people I expose to CF, I might get 1 good convert (until I have my own gym of course).
Old 01-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
paul arestan

Profile:

The more I tell people about Crossfit, the more they think I am not normal, and I sort of like it.
If they are ready to try, they deserve to know what it's like and what they've been missing out.
If not, they'll probably stick to aerobic classes and 3 sets of 10 on a leg press, and that's their problem if they want to keep kiding themselves thinking they're super fit.
I personally don't mind if they are better than me; I am only competing against myself and, and in my life, I have always found people better than me at things I thought I was very good at.
I find it stimulating that I am not the best at what I do, it gives me a reason to try harder.

By the way, Jet Li and Steven Seagal wouldn't last more than a few seconds if they had to fight Tony Jaa.
http://www.mtv.com/movies/movie/245068/trailers.jhtml
Old 01-13-2006, 07:52 AM   #4
Michael Ledney

Profile:
I believe the children are the future, teach them well and let them lead the way...

Seriously though, when I was working out at our local YMCA I did more to stunt the growth of CF than the NYT could ever hope to. If telling folks about CF make one abnormal, the grunting, sweating, hacking execution of it in a suburban, family gym makes one the subject of stares, gossip, and speculation about a potential background in prison or as a mercenary (seriously, these were rumors repeated to my wife by gossippy treadmill types who didn't know we were a couple).

On the other hand, my son's friends eat this stuff up. Maybe it's the extreme nature of the program, maybe the potential for death (ie rhabdo), maybe it's because it scares the parents. Most likely it's because they haven't yet fallen prey to big-box gym programming like their parents.

I'm in the process of writing up my affiliate essay and when I'm official I guarantee we'll have the lowest average age in the CF universe. And for the record, some of these kids are kicking my a$$.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
Justin Holmes

Profile:  
I just made a post on this exact subject in another forum. CF is like the movie The Beach. In it, Leonardo DiCaprio and some friends find this paradise that is completely uninhabited and beautiful, except for a small group of people that had wandered there one by one over the past years. They all wanted to keep the beach a secret, because they were afraid that if the secret got out, it would ruin their paradise. That's sort of how I used to think of CrossFit. I only ever told my best friend, his sister, and my girlfriend about it. I didn't want other people to have my secret. Now, however, I'm not really afraid of it, because I know that it's the people who come here that make the program work. The amount of benefit you receive from CF is exponentially proportional to the amount of effort you put into it.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
We may have an advantage through experience if say people at our gym join up. We may be stronger, faster and more skilful, but the advantage of our experience will only last so long.

Soon enough, the noobs at the gym are going to be pushing us harder and spurring us on to stay ahead.

This is all good and embraces the spirit of CrossFit.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
Kawika Harbottle

Profile:
I fear waiting in a line to use the pullup bar and the dip bars at a gym. I also fear having to wait in line to use a gym's Concept II Rower. I also fear in waiting for floor space to do pushups, situps, and HSPUs.

I fear all this and then it goes away because like it was mentioned above 1 out of 100 just might commit to CF training. In my experience that 1 out of 100 is me.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:39 PM   #8
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
What a thought, waiting for the CII. I work out at a 24-hr with about 16 treadmills, 10 elipticals, 10 bikes, 6 "seated bikes", but only one CII rower. I have never, ever had to wait for the rower, in fact I am not sure I have ever seen anyone else use it but me. Oh wait, the people there think I am a freak and everytime I use the rower I help them decide they are glad they use the "seated bikes". I forgot they also have a dedicated room totally full of bikes for "spinning class"
Old 01-14-2006, 06:11 AM   #9
John Frazer

Profile:
Michael Ledney wrote:

"makes one the subject of stares, gossip, and speculation about a potential background in prison or as a mercenary (seriously, these were rumors repeated to my wife by gossippy treadmill types who didn't know we were a couple)."

Michael,

My wife thought that was hysterical...

Last night at the Y I did my bit for the cause. There were a couple boys (maybe 12) hanging out and while I was setting up for "Linda," one of them said "Well these bars are only 10 or 15 pounds."

When I told them the bars really weigh 45 pounds, I was their guru. So after cranking out some bench presses (they were competing for max reps) they asked me what "that machine is for" (pointing at the cable crossover).

I replied, "I don't really know much about that one. It's not really as good for you as free weights ..." And they stayed away from it.

They did give me some funny looks on my first set of cleans, though.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:48 PM   #10
Joe Miller

Profile:
I fear waiting in a line to use the pullup bar and the dip bars at a gym. I also fear having to wait in line to use a gym's Concept II Rower. I also fear in waiting for floor space to do pushups, situps, and HSPUs.

You FEAR this??? This is like my ultimate fantasy. Why? Because if you started waiting in lines for the pull-up bars, and dip station, and rower, while all those ellipticals started to get dusty, guess what would happen: gyms would start dumping the ellipticals and pec decs et al. and replace this stuff with more rowers (imagine a big row of them where all those ellipticals are now... wow...) and open floor space and dumbells and bumpers, and hell maybe even rings.

What I'm saying is that gyms fill their spaces with stuff that people want to use. If suddenly everyone wanted to start using quality equipment, that's what the gyms would be full of. Supply and demand and all that. I don't think that day is close at hand or anything -- if fact I doubt it ever comes -- but I sure don't fear it. It would be wonderful.