CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-27-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
John J. King

Profile:
hello everyone... I used to do Crossfit workouts about four years ago. I really enjoyed doing them until I hurt my back and was afraid to do olympic lifts. Since then Ive realized there is really no better way for police officers to train. Ive been a police officer for 6 and a half years now and have tried a lot of different workout programs, but thats just it, Crossfit is every workout program thrown at you randomly. The other thing is Im getting a little fat and Im really down on myself. Im hoping throwing myself back into the WODs will help me burn some fat as well. Thanks for reading and Im glad to be back..
john
Old 01-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Tom Taylor

Profile:
John,
Welcome back.

A couple thoughts and suggestions if you don't mind.
First don't get down on yourself, own up to what you are unhappy with and figure out how to fix it. If you found your way back to CF I think you have already figured the how to fix it part out. Throw yourself back in to the WOD but do it wisely, to ensure the weight loss you seek and prevent injury. I suggest focusing on MetCon workouts to get your feet wet(again) and scaling the WOD.

Good Luck to you and GET SOME!
http://www.crossfitcentralct.blogspot.com/
Old 01-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
Michael Manseau

Profile:
John; welcome back. You might find tightening up the diet toward Zone parameters will help with the fat.
:080402gudl_prv:
Old 01-29-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
Mike Donnelly

Profile:
John:

Sounds like you're already on the right track. Workouts with good - no, great - form will be key.

Regarding the title of this thread, I would change you focus from "needing to lose fat" to "needing to gain strength, power, and stamina." Fat loss is a consequence of sound training and nutrition. The improvements in strength and speed are also much easier to quantify and will be self-motivating.

Good luck,

Mike Donnelly
Old 01-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
John J. King

Profile:
Thank you for the support and kind words... A question, yes Mr. Donnelly I do want to gain strength, power and stamina. Should I follow the WODs as RXed or should I only do the metcon (metabolic conditioning?) workouts??? Also to further my endurance i have been warming up with a 2 mile jog prior to my workouts... Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks again
John
Old 01-31-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
Mike Donnelly

Profile:
Follow the WODs to the best of your ability, though I would recommend scale down thw eights so that you can finish most in 30 minutes or under (others would disagree). Also, do the 'strength' workouts as well. Check out the CrossFit warmup in the FAQ section, when you can tackle that - even scaled - in the same amount of time as your 2 mile jog, which will also build full-body, functional endurance
Old 01-31-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
Nathanial Neal

Profile:
John,

Keep doing the WOD and as far as a 2 mile warm up. I think that if you are truly trying to lose fat then add HIIT training 3 times a week. It is proven to be the best way to burn fat more effective then jogging. It also only requires about 20 mins of your time.

I have lost 20 pounds in a few months and increased my muscle size by just doing the WOD and on rest days doing a HIIT. Search the boards for more info on it if you do not know what it is.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:26 AM   #8
Jon Gilson

Profile:
John,

Welcome back! With all due respect to Nathanial and his results, if you're putting the necessary effort into the WODs, additional high-intensity training efforts between WODs are unnecessary and detrimental to your overall athletic progress.

Additional efforts above and beyond the typical three-on, one-off Crossfit schedule will severly compromise your recovery, making every session necessarily less intense.

Strive for intensity of effort, not volume.

As you become more proficient at Crossfit, and I'm talking six months down the road, you can look at upping volume. By that point, you'll know from experience that doing so is foolhardy.

Regarding the selection of workouts--ignoring strength efforts for metacon or vice versa is not a good idea. The missing link: Additional muscle mass, built through strength and power training and adequate caloric consumption, will raise your baseline metabolic rate and cause you to burn fat long after the workout is over. Those who advocate steady state cardio or metabolic conditioning without strength training are missing the big picture, basing their recommendations on a partial understanding of the mechanisms of fat loss.

My advice, harsh though it may seem, is simple. Trust the program. Crossfit works in the form it is presented. Altering such a fine piece of programming without spending the necessary time to understand its intricacies is only going to hold you back from the results you want.

The other piece of the puzzle, as Michael mentioned, is diet. This will be the key to your fat loss effort. Search the board for the Zone Diet, and follow it to the letter. This is difficult without help, so lean on the folks around here to help you figure out your block prescription, supplementation needs, and ideal macronutrient choices.

Keep at it! Crossfit is going to make you fitter than you've ever been, provided you give it a solid commitment.

Good luck!

Best,

Jon

Old 01-31-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
john, follow the "keep it simple" version of the Zone; 5/6 meals a day. protein portion the size of the palm of your hand(tuna,steak,chicken,fish) surrounded by vegies(spinach, broccoli, green beans, squash)fruits(apples, citrus,grapes)snacks of cottage cheese, nuts. keep your portions down. work out. stay away from bread,rice,pasta,potatoes. if you must do bread, do the newish sprouted berries breads, don't buy anything that says "lite",( usually loaded with wierd stuff to make up for the lack of flavor imparted by fats), stay away from fruit juices and soda, if lactose intolerant, use soy products. i do WOD as well as pack runs, hill repeats, interval work. on my days off usually do the WOD in a.m. and the other activity in the p.m. this is an individual thing, tho i suspect there are other crossfitters who add other forms of p.t. this does come later in the program, however.
:stirthepot:
Old 01-31-2007, 03:27 PM   #10
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Jon & Dale;
Great reminders to the rest of us, thanks. :bowdown:
(this is vote #2 for Jon as part of the Crossfit Live team)