CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-02-2007, 07:36 AM   #1
Rodney McNeely

Profile:
Hello, all!

This is my first time on the CrossFit boards. I just discovered CrossFit yesterday, and I'm wondering how I go about getting started.

Is there a series of "basic" exercises that makes up the CrossFit system? If not, is there a basic set of exercises that I should be proficient with before I attempt to start the WOD?

Also, how well does CrossFit address both core body strength and flexibility?

Thanks in advance for any help, and take care.

Rodney
Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
David Aguasca

Profile:
Rodney,

welcome! glad to see you here.

There's a whole arsenal of exercises we use here, but a lot get used more than others. push-ups, pull-ups, squats, kettlebell swings, rowing, and sprinting are just a few. you may or may not know some of the more exotic ones, so check out the "exercises" page for demos on all those.

i'd read through the FAQ, as well. many of the questions you have will be answered there. start practicing some of the new movements you've been introduced to, like kipping pull-ups for example, which allow us to complete workouts that may have 100 pull-ups in them.

Crossfit definitely does address both core body strength and flexibility...one exercise that comes to mind is the overhead squat, which requires a great deal of lower body and shoulder flexibility, and is one of the KINGS of core exercises.

be sure to take it easy the first few weeks. use this time to really practice movements, get good at them. search for Eugene Allen's account of a friend of his who was struck by rhabdomyolysis on his first crossfit workout.

anyway, i'm sure somebody else will post with whatever i missed.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
Kevin Hughes

Profile:
Rodney;

Check out the CFJ article entitled 'What is Fitness?' http://www.crossfit.com/cf-download/CFJ-trial.pdf
Its the new bible in our house.

Also look at the CFJ beginner workout also available for free. try it if you're not ready for the WOD or want to ease into the Crossfit lifestyle. Its at http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...nnersMay03.pdf

We (family of 4) overdid our first Crossfit workout which included Tabata squats and paid a steep price for 7-10 days afterward. We now use the beginner workout plus the Crossfit warmup. We intend to work through that for 12 weeks before taking up the WOD's. The scaled workouts from Brand X Martial Arts are a bonus. I'll be looking for reports of your progress here from time to time.

Best of luck!
Kev
Old 02-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
Rodney McNeely

Profile:
Thanks so much for the help, gentlemen.

Dave, I'll dig into the FAQ as soon as possible.

Kevin, the second PDF is just what I was looking for. I do have one question about the 400-meter run, though. I'm as flat-footed as a duck, and I have genetically wide hips (which means a rather oblique hip-to-knee angle). Needless to say, even though I'm in very good cardiovascular condition (I bike and do Brazilian jiu-jitsu), running KILLS me, structurally speaking.

Any suggestions on a substitution for the 400-meter run?

Thanks again.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:30 AM   #5
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
Hey Rodney, the FAQ would help you with your 400m question. You can substitute it for any similar exercise that takes the same amount of time. Let's assume your run 400m in 1 min 30, you could consider:
9kg medicine ball throws
rowing
24' box jumps
star jumps (why not?)
for one minute 30 instead.

Be creative :-)
Old 02-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
William Brownley

Profile:
Hello all, I am another new member. Although I work out a fair amount, weight is my issue, and perhaps age (50). I am 6'1" and 250. I am perhaps not quite as fat as that might seem due to a large frame and weight workouts since the age of about 15. I know the zone seems to be the preferred diet. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Any particular advice to or from the "masters" athletes out there would be appreciated in terms of doing things differently?
Or, does this group genrally hold to Satchel Paige's philsophy on getting older "Age is just mind over matter--if you don't mind, it don't matter." Thanks, Bill
Old 02-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #7
Kevin Hughes

Profile:
Hi Rodney;

Glad to be of help. I don't run any more either; couple knee surgeries have made me gun shy. I do short intervals on my bike. You really have to push it though. I find perceived exertion levels on the bike to be misleading. Just when you think you're giving it everything, you find a little more. We have a short hill near the house, so when I feel my best, I pound it up that.

Best,
Kev
Old 02-03-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Rodney, welcome to CrossFit!
Old 02-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #9
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Bill, welcome to CrossFit!
Don't let being 50 make you back away from this.
I'll be 57 in a few months, and there are some others you'll meet around that age, too.
You'll find the pace you can stay with.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #10
Michael Manseau

Profile:
William; Your 3 years my senior. Scaling your WOD would be my suggestion after pouring over the FAQ & 'start here'.
Enter the zone & master the zone are relatively cheap on Amazon. Or buy journal 21 which sums everything up with menu ideas.
:Welcome: