CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-24-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
Justin Arnest

Profile:
Is there a good watch that you can set some sort of interval timer on? Something that could be used for Tabata This and Tabata Something Else. I often have to work out alone and a good countdown timer, stopwatch, interval timer would be great.
Thanks...
Old 10-24-2005, 09:59 PM   #2
Nikki Young

Profile:
Jim posted a timer he finds useful for tabata not too long ago, there is some discussion:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/15215.html
Old 10-24-2005, 10:06 PM   #3
Justin Arnest

Profile:
I read the posts and checked out the gymboss timer. Thanks for the info.
One of the guys said, "replaced my Timex, which only fortuitously provided a nice 20s work/10s rest cycle". I think I need to track down that Timex. I like a wrist mounted version.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:38 PM   #4
Andrew Gray

Profile:
Timex works great for tabatas. It has a countdown repeat timer on it with a 10 second alarm. If you set it to 30 seconds it works out perfect, when it's beeping you rest, when it's not you work. I'm not sure if every timex has this feature, but I am pretty sure everything in the timex ironman triathlon line does. I got my most recent timex on sale for $20 and it has been working out great (the one I had before it mysteriously died a month after I got it though).
Old 10-25-2005, 12:41 AM   #5
Andy Shirley

Profile:
I love my timex ironman, but I take it off my wrist while doing the WOD. If I dont, it has a nasty habit of stopping itself with wrist flexion. Or sweat-wiping. I usually don't know how it stopped, only that it has stopped.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:05 AM   #6
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Someone somewhere has made a tabata sound file that I use all the time. Put it on an MP3 player or a CD and rock and roll. No need to look at anything.

Do a search for it. I remember saying "Bo Selecta" in my post in that thread, so search for that and you'll find it easy peasy.

:blush:
Old 10-25-2005, 03:10 AM   #7
Nikki Young

Profile:
Unfortunatly i did the search and the link is invalid now. But i did another search and found this link to an MP3 made by a member of crossfit.

http://www.lokiland.org/tonya/tabata.htm
Old 10-25-2005, 03:17 AM   #8
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
What I wanted to do is make a FGB soundtrack and have audible cues for resting and switching stations. Same could be done for Tabata. I love it when I don't have to worry about the semantics of my WOD and leave everything to automation.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:27 AM   #9
Graham Tidey

Profile:
That would be super easy Alex.

All you have to do is download a demo version of some kind of sound editing programme, download a beep soundfile from the net (or a fart, or Homer, or anything) and put them in the timeline every minute.

Then you put a whole song in another layer.

Trust me, its a lot simpler than it sounds. I'd do it, but....

Oh yeah, you could save that then replace the entire song in the layer with another and make a whole CD with hard rockin ch00ns with beeps for FGB.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:43 AM   #10
Allen Yeh

Profile:
I bought my most recent timex at the BX over at Bolling it was 30 and great workout watch. Stopwatch, timer and interval timer. For the interval timer you set it for 20 and 10 and set it for repeat. At 20 you get one beep and at 10 it has the alarm sound. The previous timex I had was about 50 and had the same functions so when you go to the store just go through the different modes.