CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 10-11-2003, 03:53 AM   #1
Coach

Profile:

If the TV hype is accurate, Mr. Ortiz had picked up the appelation "cardioman", and trained in part with towing cyclists in a pulling harness, leg presses, and partial rep squat-like movements on the Smith Machine.

I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it! Can it be that someone as obviously talented as Mr. Ortiz doesn't have benefit of a modern athletic S&C program?

Mr. Ortiz was widely quoted in the press - after suffering a crushing defeat - as saying that, "Randy was a lot stronger than I expected." I would relish the opportunity to tell him what happened. (Mr. Couture certainly knows.)

Coach
Old 10-11-2003, 12:11 PM   #2
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
That was the first UFC I've missed in ages (this damn thesis project). I would pay large sums of money if someone would mail me a copy.

Brad
Old 10-30-2003, 08:35 AM   #3
Jason Lauer

Profile:
I've got it on tape, Tito does do a hell of a lot mroe than that but i've seen Randy's workouts and he is a lot closer to crossfit than Tito most of the top echelon pro MMA guys still keep weights, cardio, and training separate. I'm not suprised at all however that Chuck Liddell seemingly always gasses because I saw his pre-fight conditioning regimen and it is not very demanding.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:20 PM   #4
Rick Worthington

Profile:

I just attended a wrestling clinic in Monterey and has the pleasure of meeting Randy and picking his brain for a bit. He is such a great guy that you cant imagine him pummeling people so hard. His S&C program is a crossfitter's wet dream. He trains like a mad man.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:12 PM   #5
Coach

Profile:

Yeah, guys, work with me.

Do you put on the harness and bike bit to pull the bike for less time than a round? If so, cool.
If the towing runs over the round length..uh-oh..

"Cardio-man" sounds like "oxidative pathway burnout man" to me.

The non-functional Smith Squats (hideous ones too) and leg press reveal the body building approach to strength and conditioning. Athletes have no use for either of those movements.

Tito performed like a bodybuilder in the clutches of a gladiator.

Coach

Old 10-31-2003, 06:15 PM   #6
Rick Worthington

Profile:

Coach - I love that saying ("Performed like a bodybuilder in the clutches of a gladiator")}!!! I'll be using that with the wrestlers on my team that continue to follow body builder workouts despite my pleas!!!!
Old 11-02-2003, 09:36 AM   #7
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Rick,

Based on what you said before, I might be risking an extra load of laundry here, but I'm interested anyway. Could you give some details about Couture's S&C program (or a link, if available)?

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 11-03-2003, 06:48 PM   #8
Rick Worthington

Profile:

Ryan -
Here's what I got from Randy at the clinic - remember I was talking more from a wrestler's standpoint than a fighter's so I think he geared his reponses in that direction:
He does little to no road work (running long distances).
Plyometric workouts and olympic lift workouts are the mainstay of his routine - usually 2 of each per week - on the days he doesn't do one of those is his "hard" event day (grappling, live combat wrestling, etc). Typically, 2-3 days of rest each week. He's a huge fan of jumping rope (as he'll confess, when he wrestled in the army he had cement feet from wrestling so much Greco and had to adjust when he went to collegiate style.) He does "explosion push ups" - starting in down position with a partner or box to your right, pushing up and over the object and coming down on the other side - repeating back and forth. Lots of box hops. He was a big pull up advocate.
He keeps most of S&C workouts to under 30 minutes (hmmmmmm, does this sound slightly like the WOD??) Suprisingly, he also spends about 20 minutes a day doing active visualization and meditation.
While not the best source for info on his workouts, Team Quest does have a website that provides some info on Randy and his team. He is an outstanding clinician and if you can find a wrestling clinic that he's working, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised.
I know some other coaches taped the clinic and if I can get a copy for myself, I would be glad to try to copy one for you as well (although most of it would be wrestling technique). Post if you're interested and I'll check back here in a if I can do it.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:54 PM   #9
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I would be interested!
Old 11-04-2003, 03:32 PM   #10
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Rick,

Ditto for me - I'd be very interested.

'Although most of it would be wrestling technique.'

Still extremely interested. I need work on my wrestling technique. A friend of mine followed the top ten ratings of a mixed martial arts magazine (I forget which one) for a year for all weight divisions. Conclusion - at least 67% of the competitors listed had a wrestling background.

Thanks for the generous offer. I'll e-mail you about it.

Ryan