CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
"Linda"

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of the triplet:

Deadlift: 1 body weight (is this my body weight + 1 1/2 my body weight?)?Bench press: body weight (i understand this)?Clean: body weight (again, bodyweight + 3/4 of that weight?)
Set up three bars and storm through for time.
Post time to comments.

I am 165lbs
Old 01-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
If you can deadlift 2.5 x your bodyweight for 10 reps and clean 1.75 x your bodyweight for 10 reps then there is a spot on a national weightlifting team for you somewhere!

load up the bars to
1.5 x 165 = 245
1 x 165 = 165
.75 x 165 = 125
Old 01-02-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
Frank, go easy with this one. My first Linda took me an hour and I was very sore for days afterwards. Go lighter and faster and finish, that's my 2c.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
I agree with Matthew on this one. For your first Linda, do not go above 100lb, even if you've been lifting weights or even competitively powerlifting or weightlifting for a while.

Why? Because it's going to take your body quite a bit of time to adjust to the loads, especially with a heavy-volume workout like this.

JMO.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:57 PM   #5
Frank Menendez

Profile:
oh alright, even for the bench press exercise don't exceed 100?
Old 01-02-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Frank,

Better to go too light in a WOD the first time, look back and go "Hey, that was pretty easy!" than to go too heavy, too hard, too fast, and risk injury. Besides, you're doing 55 reps of each exercise, regardless, essentially lifting 100lb 165 times in the entire workout.

Of course, after that first workout, YOU will know how you respond to the weight and that workout better than anyone else, so YOU will be responsible enough to put on more (or if you're strength for whatever reason isn't up to it, less) weight.

Personally, when I started out with CrossFit, I never attempted a "benchmark" WOD the first time I saw it, as prescribed. I always lowered something: Weight, reps, time, rounds, whatever. This allowed me to not only workout more safely, but gave me a guage to go off of for the next time that benchmark shows up (and if it's named, trust me, it will show up again). I also don't recommend non-CrossFitters to "throw themselves" into the WODs, but instead to scale them down first.

The prescribed WOD is CrossFit, but CrossFit is not merely the prescribed WOD.

Train well!
Old 01-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
Frank Menendez

Profile:
agreed! will do, thanks :-)
Old 01-03-2006, 05:15 AM   #8
John Frazer

Profile:
Frank,

Since I can't quite deadlift 1.5 times my bodyweight or bench my bodyweight for even one rep, I took a suggestion that a lot of people seem to use here and use a lower "pretend bodyweight". Then, keep the proportions of weight the same.

For instance, at 165 you might pretend to weigh 100 -- so, you'd deadlift 150, bench 100 and clean 75. That's just an example; since I noticed your other post about having a back injury, I'd recommend special caution since the combination of deadlifts and cleans is very demanding on the lower back.

I studied WOD results for "Linda" and the really fast people were doing it in 40 minutes or so. So I try to keep mine under 40:00, often under 30:00. Every time my time improves, I make a note to increase the weight for next time.

A fast "Linda" may be Crossfit's toughest workout, as far as I'm concerned. I try to do it late Friday nights when the gym is empty; not only do I not want to hog all the bars when other people are around, but I don't want too many people worrying about my gasping, red face and spraying sweat.

(Message edited by John_Frazer on January 03, 2006)
Old 01-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #9
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
How did you go Frank?

I managed to deadlift an extra 20kg and finish earlier this time. I just cannot believe the strength that I'm picking up on this program. It's almost kooky.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #10
Guy Crossland

Profile:
Yes,Linda did for me. Very sore and I was suprised at its bruising intensity,almost contra-indicative as I can hardly move now.Check egos in at the door on this kind of WOD.