CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
Christopher C Brophy

Profile:

After doing Linda for my 1st time I have a question...

I weight 150 lbs...I can not bench 150lbs for 10 straight reps..I lowered and adjusted the weights for the 3 exercises so I could manage to meet the 10 9 8, etc reps...my question is this

Should I just load the bar up to the required weight and do a broken up set rather than a leighter weight where I can do the 10 reps all at once?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-03-2006, 11:59 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Yes, break the sets up as necessary, the only thing that will do is effect your time. You will get a better training effect with greater weight. By the way this applies to all of the workouts.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #3
Christopher C Brophy

Profile:

Thanks Larry

Chris
Old 01-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Not to argue with Larry (who's probably one of the smartest guys on the board), but the other strategy works, too.

If keeping to the weights as specified means that the workout is going to take you 40 minutes or more to complete, that's probably too much weight. Most CrossFit WODs are intended to be done in 20 - 30 minutes (some a few as 5 - 7 minutes). If it's taking significantly longer than that, you'd probably get more total training impact by lowering the weight a bit and pushing the time down more.

Again, both strategies are good. Your choice might depend on what you personally want to train most (max strength or anaerobic "power"), and you could alternate 'em.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
David is right. You still want to be challanged (by the weight) but if the RXed weight is to high to handle, you need to drop the weight into the managable level. Needing to rest after singles is not the way to go, but I broke the 10 rep DL into 2 x 5 reps, did straight sets on the BP and clean, but until I hit 5 reps I split sets of DLs. Most CFers cannot complete 21 reps of HSPU so we split the set...in other words, try to work with the RXed weight or reps but only modify if the workout is taking an excessive amount of time.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:48 AM   #6
Christopher C Brophy

Profile:

Sounds like great advice Larry and david...thanks for taking the time to inform me

Chris
Old 01-04-2006, 11:16 AM   #7
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
IMO, the main question is one of form. If the weight designated is too heavy to maintain good (safe) form for the exercise, then the amount of weight should be reduced. But I think that's just about the only time weight should be dropped. I understand and accept the idea of occasionally reducing weight in order to test one's self with a metabolic ***-kicking...but I'd be hesitant about doing that too often (when the question is break up the set(s) or drop the weight). Personally, I'd probably go with "break up the sets" 2 out of 3 times, then drop the weights and go metabolic on the 3rd (just arbitrary).
Old 01-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Probably worth mentioning that when I suggest breaking the sets up, I don't mean that you stop for 2 minutes, gab with friends, etc. I mean rack the weight, rest only long enough so that you can go again, then get the weight back up and get moving (maybe 10-15 seconds). You'll still be getting plenty of metabolic benefit...just maybe not quite what you'd get with an uninterrupted set.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:39 AM   #9
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
for what it is worth--i just printed off CF journal #13 where coach outlines the "girls". his quote is to the effect of "there is no shame in taking an hour to complete one of these workouts" (diane, fran, elizabeth) using the prescribed weight and breaking up the sets. his suggestion was that if you can do three good reps with the prescribed weight you are good to go. 7 sets x 3reps for the 21 round, 5 x 3 for the 15 and 3x3 for the 9. wish i had run across this journal sooner. luckily, i usually err to the side of heavier weight and longer times.