CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #131
Danny Sidebottom

Profile:
Re: CrossFit - Reekbok Apparel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
So since they gave 3 pairs of shoes to everyone, can anyone talk about the new lifting shoe yet?
I don't own a pair but I tried one on so take this for what it's worth.

If you are looking to compete in Oly Meets, you'll want a better shoe.

If you want something that will allow your to box jump/double under/snatch in the same WOD, Reebok's shoes are nice and a decent buy.

They are extremely flexible in the toe, so it comes down to, what are your goals? Be specific.

Last edited by Danny Sidebottom : 07-28-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #132
Steve Loeding

Profile:

I mentioned that before - Reebok will probably be licensed to be the sole producer of affiliate apparel. It will be in a clause the next time you renew your affiliation agreement.

Just a thought - but I'm 75% sure it will happen.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #133
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Sidebottom View Post
I don't own a pair but I tried one on so take this for what it's worth.

If you are looking to compete in Oly Meets, you'll want a better shoe.

If you want something that will allow your to box jump/double under/snatch in the same WOD, Reebok's shoes are nice and a decent buy.

They are extremely flexible in the toe, so it comes down to, what are your goals? Be specific.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much. Have you tried the other "crossfit shoe" also? Any thoughts there?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #134
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Loeding View Post
I mentioned that before - Reebok will probably be licensed to be the sole producer of affiliate apparel. It will be in a clause the next time you renew your affiliation agreement.

I need to think about this.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #135
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Gowens View Post
I need to think about this.
Jamie, I think all affiliates will need to do more than think about this. The RBK/CF partnership will bring many positive changes to both entities, but many people will be forced to face the most basic of questions that every serious small business owner has to answer: am I running a hobby or business? The answer is in the balance sheet.

If the "day job" can cover the hobby, well, that's great, working out with a group of friends and introducing folks to something new. However, if affiliate fees, insurance, rent, etc. are competing against food, kitty litter, gas money, and such, then tough decisions must be made.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #136
Michael Kelley

Profile:

Quote:

What will become really interesting is that if they try to jam this in there and affiliates already have some sort of long term deal with some other manufacturer when their renewal comes up.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #137
Mark Ritchie

Profile:

Quote:

I just got my affiliation renewal and it is just a link to pay. Looking at the original agreement itself I don't really see how they could do that, even if they wanted to. Affiliation is pretty loose -- it isn't a franchise. So they don't really have that level of control. IF they tried to assert that level of control that would be a huge change -- but since that would also carry liability implications, it is probably unlikely.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #138
Michael Kelley

Profile:

I haven't seen the agreement, but I would think it would be pretty easy to put in language that says something to the effect of "if you want to print the crossfit name on apparel, it has to be produced by Reebok."
Old 07-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #139
Mark Ritchie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley View Post
I haven't seen the agreement, but I would think it would be pretty easy to put in language that says something to the effect of "if you want to print the crossfit name on apparel, it has to be produced by Reebok."
They might want to do that, but I'm not sure they would be able to. Right now affiliation allows you to use the CF name, and you need a link on your webpage to CF.com. Other than that, you're free to do whatever you want. If they start imposing specifics on how you run your business that are that details, they may start looking like a franchise, not an affiliation -- at which point CF HQ shares more liability for the actions of all the affiliates.

The logistics of having 1000+ plus affiliate printing all their apparel on Reebok clothing would also be pretty insane, especially with small print runs.

So I think it would be pretty unlikely.

What I think is more likely (although still probably not going to happen) is if they gave you the option, as an affiliate, to get Reebok gear printed with your affiliate's logo, etc. They would have to set up a custom print system sort of like CafePress, etc., so I think it is unlikely. But it would be great to have that option for special events, etc. I also think they should have a "pro deal" for CF affiliates similar to how in the outdoor industry, outdoor professionals (NOLS and Outward Bound instructors, etc.), can get gear and clothing at a discount. But that's probably not going to happen either.

There are lots of things that CF HQ can do/does that seem stupid, but trying to enforce a t-shirt rule for all the affiliates would be dumb. Not impossible of course, but just so difficult to do I don't think they'd bother.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #140
Dave Traeger

Profile:

It'd be difficult to enforce. Are they going to hire a team to travel all over the world to inspect the clothing worn by gym goers?