CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 05-31-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
Jim Aldridge

Profile:
Okay, ladies, my wife is incorporating some of the WODs into her routine. The problem is that most of them seem to be designed for men. How do you modify some of the "girls" workouts to make them more female friendly? What weights are appropriate for some of the more frequently encountered lifts? I know that some of this is going to be highly subjective and personalized, but it will give my wife a reference for a starting point at least.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:28 AM   #2
Jim Aldridge

Profile:
Looking at my post, I realized that many of the people who read it might think, "Duh, scalability is part of the program." But my wife is very goal oriented and I was looking for something a bit more standardized (if it exists) that would also be more attainable for an athletic "stay at home" mother of three. Otherwise, I think it would be easy to get discouraged if that which you were striving for proved ultimately to be impossible.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Jim, I seem recall reading at one point that the designated weights are idealized for someone weighing 170lbs. I supposed you could begin scaling loads based off of that.

But keep in mind you have women around like Kelly Moore, who can knock out DLs for serious reps at 225lbs., and Kelly weighs like 105-115 IIRC.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
John Walsh

Profile:
Jim,

I don’t think any such standard exist. There are many female athletes here at CF that use the proscribed weights. It all depends on you wife’s current strength level and prior experience with weight training. She’ll need to scale and use her own benchmarks to gauge her progress. If she’s committed and healthy she’ll see progress and shouldn’t get discouraged. If she’s going to compare herself to the top CF athletes she will quickly get discouraged. It’s not how much you lift but how you lift it as a former coach of mine used to say. 225 has never been much for me to deadlift but the difference between a set of 21 reps in under 30 seconds and a set accomplished in over a minute has a significant effect on me.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:51 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Jim, I concur with the above posts. I usually take WOD and figure what the percentage of bodyweight the RX'd weights would be for a 180lb man and adjust to my BW.

From a stayhome, CF, athletically driven mom of 4. :biggrin:
Old 05-31-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
Nani Shaked

Profile:  
Jim, I started on March 13, 2005. Initially I cut weights by 1/2. With one exception, the exercise which I never done before. Such as the overhead Squat. For those I did body weight and increased the weight slowly.
After 1-2 weeks I found that it took me to long to get some energy to get to the gym. So I started to look at my food intact and made changes there.
Looking back, I was focused on trying to do the perfect WOD. I changed from that to start small and increase as needed. Time is on your side. You can always do the same WOD twice or add to the WOD.

One more note, initially my hart rate was at 155 plus and the WOD where taking me over 45 min. I needed time from the end of the WOD till I could get to my car and drive.

Hope this helps her!
Old 05-31-2005, 03:51 PM   #7
Joshua Newman

Profile:
Jeopardize my masculinity as this point might: I weigh in at 135# - closer, I'd guess, to the average female CFer than the average male.

For my first four or five months, I therefore similarly scaled weights to 75-80%. My plan was to cut away at my times, then, eventually, slowly inch up the weight.

In the last month and a half, however, I decided to flip that approach, and am now sticking with the prescribed WOD weights. While that's, expectedly, increased my times, I seem to be chipping away at the seconds at least as fast as I was before, leading me to believe that if my eventual goal is a fast time on the 'as written' WOD, I'm best slogging my way through the 'as written' WOD.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:56 AM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

Nani:

Great first post! Welcome to CrossFit.

I grew up in your neck of the woods (Encino), and get back out there occasionally to visit friends.

If you don't mind my asking, where do you train? Do you know of a CrossFit-friendly gym? (I can go to the Y over on Vanowen, but that's a complete waste . . . no free weights *at all* last time I was there.)
Old 06-01-2005, 04:11 PM   #9
Nani Shaked

Profile:  
David, I split training between the park on Vanowen, my garage, and Mid Valley gym. All depends on the WOD and equipment needed. Also depends on NBA games/finals (Gym is loaded with TV's).

Are you still in the valley area?
Old 06-02-2005, 09:55 AM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

No, I'm out in NJ now (haven't actually lived in LA since about 1975 (but still visit now and then)).

I usually do the run / playground stuff at Balboa Park (playground is up at the Burbank end of the park). I'll try Mid Valley next time I'm there.

Last trip, I just went over the hill to Petranek Fitness in Santa Monica . . . *that* is a CrossFit-friendly setup (he's an affiliate).

Dave