CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #21
Ryan Fitzgerald

Profile:
Re: Modified Paleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
I've done this and it's not really the best thing. Eat as much clean food as you can stomach, lift heavy and once a week have whatever you want at one meal.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Validated what I've heard from a few others outside the forums.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #22
Ryan Fitzgerald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
If you've got any serious fitness goals, I highly doubt that eating foods that upset your digestive system 42.9% of the time is going to help you reach them.

Aside from that, I don't think I'd want to repeatedly eat stuff that I knew was going to lead to those sorts of problems.
I like the math
A little gas isn't going to hurt them, either
Old 06-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #23
Chyla Anderson

Profile:

You might want to soak your grains-- buckwheat, corn, & quinoa (which is techinically considered a fruit) are the best options. Try legumes, white potatoes, dark chocolate, raw dairy (easier on the stomach) and see how they make you feel.

Maybe go with more of a Weston A Price dietary guideline...
Old 06-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #24
Mike Strickland

Profile:

"Modified" Paleo is where most of us who try Paleo end up. "Strict" Paleo is too onerous and too restrictive for most people and is often difficult to match up with various fitness goals people may have. The only people I personally know eating strict paleo are the nice couple who run health-bent.com (they work out at my CF box), and I'm amazed how well they've stuck to their guns. Most "modified" paleo eaters are people who started with Paleo and stick with the principles driving the dietary basis, but have reincorporated stuff that's technically not paleo, but their body has no adverse reaction to.

For example, I started off with strict but now have broadened out to include dairy, dark chocolate, potatoes & rice because I'm trying to gain some lean muscle mass and I'm dying for calories due to the low caloric density of most paleo foods. Eventually, I get sick of eating. I drink raw milk, eat raw milk or live culture products whenever possible, skin my potatoes to be rid of the anti-nutrient bearing skin, and eat white rice for the starch calories. I will never add back the bigger no-no's of paleo which are gluten grains, legumes, processed sugars, etc. Those only get eaten as acknowledged deviations (cheats), which I try to keep to 10% or less of my meals. My girlfriend is sort of the opposite. She's hit a weight loss plateau and wants to go further so she's having to cut out all the stuff I just listed because she's needing to run a calorie deficit for awhile.

Eventually you end up with your own personal modified paleo. Do what works for you so long as you're not putting crap in your body.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #25
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Fitzgerald View Post
I'm thinking about "cheating" Fri-Sun, then running strict during the week. Anyone have a bit of knowledge on that approach?
This makes it sound like a temporary diet, with a finite goal and/or end point, as opposed to a basic, permanent approach to eating (which it should be).

"Dieting"—calorie restriction or other temporary modifications in order to lose weight— is in part what's making Americans fat over the long haul. It messes with your metabolism. Your body is genetically wired to store fat. It will always push its own weight "set point" up over time.

It is almost impossible to be 100% Paleo all the time in the modern world. Especially if you have a job, kids, travel, etc.,

The point is to eliminate (or strictly limit) foods that are inflammatory to human physiology (as much as possible)—for optimal health and well being. It is a health and longevity "diet." And there is no "end point" there, except death.

Positive changes in body composition, especially with proper exercise, will typically happen along with better overall health from Paleo.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #26
Ryan Fitzgerald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Strickland View Post
"Modified" Paleo is where most of us who try Paleo end up. "Strict" Paleo is too onerous and too restrictive for most people and is often difficult to match up with various fitness goals people may have. The only people I personally know eating strict paleo are the nice couple who run health-bent.com (they work out at my CF box), and I'm amazed how well they've stuck to their guns. Most "modified" paleo eaters are people who started with Paleo and stick with the principles driving the dietary basis, but have reincorporated stuff that's technically not paleo, but their body has no adverse reaction to.

For example, I started off with strict but now have broadened out to include dairy, dark chocolate, potatoes & rice because I'm trying to gain some lean muscle mass and I'm dying for calories due to the low caloric density of most paleo foods. Eventually, I get sick of eating. I drink raw milk, eat raw milk or live culture products whenever possible, skin my potatoes to be rid of the anti-nutrient bearing skin, and eat white rice for the starch calories. I will never add back the bigger no-no's of paleo which are gluten grains, legumes, processed sugars, etc. Those only get eaten as acknowledged deviations (cheats), which I try to keep to 10% or less of my meals. My girlfriend is sort of the opposite. She's hit a weight loss plateau and wants to go further so she's having to cut out all the stuff I just listed because she's needing to run a calorie deficit for awhile.

Eventually you end up with your own personal modified paleo. Do what works for you so long as you're not putting crap in your body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
This makes it sound like a temporary diet, with a finite goal and/or end point, as opposed to a basic, permanent approach to eating (which it should be).

"Dieting"—calorie restriction or other temporary modifications in order to lose weight— is in part what's making Americans fat over the long haul. It messes with your metabolism. Your body is genetically wired to store fat. It will always push its own weight "set point" up over time.

It is almost impossible to be 100% Paleo all the time in the modern world. Especially if you have a job, kids, travel, etc.,

The point is to eliminate (or strictly limit) foods that are inflammatory to human physiology (as much as possible)—for optimal health and well being. It is a health and longevity "diet." And there is no "end point" there, except death.

Positive changes in body composition, especially with proper exercise, will typically happen along with better overall health from Paleo.
Great insight, guys!
Old 06-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #27
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Fitzgerald View Post
Great insight, guys!
I agree. Very interesting.