CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 04-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #31
Michael Kelley

Profile:
Re: Overall thoughts on Open wods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
Just adding my thoughts for whatever they're worth. I don't think this comp. is purely about finding the elite for the games. I agree it is a chance for us everyday folk to feel a part of something bigger and communal and see how our hard work month after month stacks up to everyone else. While top 60 in the region isn't going to happen for me, it does definitely matter to me if I am top 15% or top 50% ya know? It also helps me see what my strengths and weaknesses are & what I need to focus on going forward to be more well rounded. I think they've done a good job of being inclusive without anything being too easy/light....well maybe the DLs on WOD 2.....but I was happy cus I killed it! As far as pure strength, I guess when your squat clean sucks, it sure felt like a huge limiting factor.
Bingo.

It looks to me like there are two camps. One that says something like "only the best should even get in the door. If you can't sling monster weight AND metcon like a champion, you can't even be in the discussion." The other says "let everyone have a shot to see where you stack up instead of just watching from a grandstand, and the best will emerge with better scores." I REALLY like the latter view. This format gets everyone in the contest. It gets people a benchmark to chase for next year while providing a legit selection process for the next round. It also includes simple exercises with relatively basic equipment that gets home warriors, globo workers, and affiliate members in the game. At the next level, equipment and the "field" can all be standardized. Tough for some folks to find a good spot for a trail run on a random Thursday when they just heard about it on Tuesday night.
I think the complaints sound too close to a "yeah, but how much can you bench" conversation.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #32
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Not everyone is a winner.

Do your squats, and next year, a 165 lb clean and jerk won't feel so heavy.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #33
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley View Post
Bingo.

It looks to me like there are two camps. One that says something like "only the best should even get in the door. If you can't sling monster weight AND metcon like a champion, you can't even be in the discussion." The other says "let everyone have a shot to see where you stack up instead of just watching from a grandstand, and the best will emerge with better scores." I REALLY like the latter view. This format gets everyone in the contest.
Well - that was how the Sectionals of 2010 and Regionals of 2009 worked. People were allowed to compete merely by signing up, paying the fee and showing up to the site... AND they were even allowed to scale weight if they knew they couldn't do it as Rx. BUT if you scaled, you knew you were automatically out of the running for "winning" the competition.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #34
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
If you can't sling monster weight...
What monster weights were there?

I mean, people do realize that there was a DEADLIFT WOD with 155/100 lbs, right? If that's not pandering to the non-elite, I don't know what is.

Quote:
The other says "let everyone have a shot to see where you stack up instead of just watching from a grandstand...
Also, everyone CAN have a shot to see where they stack up. The WODs are free. You can do them whenever you want and see where you stack up against those people on the leaderboard.

I mean, even I did WOD 11.5 yesterday.

Last edited by Tamara Cohen : 04-21-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #35
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
What monster weights were there?

I mean, people do realize that there was a DEADLIFT WOD with 155/100 lbs, right? If that's not pandering to the non-elite, I don't know what is.
And 165 is a sub bodyweight clean and jerk for guys 165 and up. Most guys 185 and up should be able to shoulder press that weight. 165 and up should at least manage to push press it. Jerking wasn't even required unless you're a small guy.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #36
Greg Light

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Archibald View Post
So why was Kyle Maynard even allowed in the Georgia Sectional and featured on the 2010 Games site? Is he an embarrassment too?
kyle-maynard-georgia-sectional (WFS)

Glassman said that they want people who "don't think they have a snowball's chance in hell" to play. Sounds like they wanted everyone to give it a shot and to have fun competing against people of similar ability. I've had fun tracking my placing against friends at other boxes. Something that I wouldn't be able to do otherwise because we follow different programming.

My impression is that the Open is to be somewhat inclusive and the Regionals are to find the fittest. The fittest should be able to be in the top 60 no matter what the workouts are even if it is light weight biased. Certainly the top 2 or 3 athletes will be in there.

I competed in the Taranis Winter Challenge which had a similar goal of being inclusive. They put out a list of minimum requirements that could be expected in the WODs. Maybe HQ should do something similar to weed out the embarrassments.

Maybe the whole inclusive thing is a mistake and they need to start streaming the Open BrandX style. All of this because I thought they should change the order of the WODs. Of course it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things but if the goal is to be inclusive then I think that this would be a very slight improvement.
They want "people who don't have a snowball's chance in hell" since they charge per entry. Are you really that naive?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #37
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Light View Post
They want "people who don't have a snowball's chance in hell" since they charge per entry. Are you really that naive?
This....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Not everyone is a winner.

Do your squats, and next year, a 165 lb clean and jerk won't feel so heavy.
... and this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley
"only the best should even get in the door. If you can't sling monster weight AND metcon like a champion, you can't even be in the discussion."
If you can't do these 2 things then are you the fittest?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 AM   #38
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Well - that was how the Sectionals of 2010 and Regionals of 2009 worked. People were allowed to compete merely by signing up, paying the fee and showing up to the site... AND they were even allowed to scale weight if they knew they couldn't do it as Rx. BUT if you scaled, you knew you were automatically out of the running for "winning" the competition.
I actually liked the new format just because it was only $10 for entry...what I didn't like compared to previous years was that $$ was taken out of affiliate pockets and put into HQ's Even though affiliates were opening up gym time to host.

For maximal strength I think we could have kept all the workouts 11.1-11.6 just like the were. During the 6 week period we could have had a maximal strength event that lasted the whole 6 weeks. We could pick 3 or 4 lifts or tests:

Max Deadlift
Max weighted Pull Up
Max Squat
Max Bench (or Press)

Then the athletes would complete these tests at any point as many times as they wanted during the 6 week period. You just had to complete and submit at some point between day one of 11.1 and the last day of submission for 11.6.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #39
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
For maximal strength I think we could have kept all the workouts 11.1-11.6 just like the were. During the 6 week period we could have had a maximal strength event that lasted the whole 6 weeks. We could pick 3 or 4 lifts or tests:

Max Deadlift
Max weighted Pull Up
Max Squat
Max Bench (or Press)

Then the athletes would complete these tests at any point as many times as they wanted during the 6 week period. You just had to complete and submit at some point between day one of 11.1 and the last day of submission for 11.6.
oooooo.....I hope some at HQ reads that! That is the best way to work the max lifts in.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #40
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Really, they could have thrown anything at us. I think it was balanced and fair for all legitimate competitors. If this time one of the workouts targeted your goat, next time you will be a year stronger and will train to cover your weaknesses.