CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-08-2003, 07:34 PM   #1
Edward D. Friedman

Profile:
Robb:

I noticed your mention that John Robbins is no longer a vegan, and has suffered health challenges. (Related?)

As a once upon a time vegan, now mostly paleo, feeling better and better, I'd be really interested to know the details behind your reference. Please post a link or cite authority. Thanks.
Eddie
Old 10-08-2003, 07:49 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Edward-

I believe John robbins discusses this at his website. My friend who is a member of "Earthsave" was crushed by this news and related it to me about two years ago.

He is certianly widening his commentary by including grassfed meat info and what-not.
Robb
http://www.foodrevolution.org/

Old 10-09-2003, 01:14 PM   #3
Coach

Profile:

John Robbins orginization was headquartered in Santa Cruz and we had the opportunity to work with several of the key people within his Earth Save Orginization. One was executive director and the other head of the school lunch program.

These two ladies were in poor health and pathologically weak. (Loosing teeth and low bone density at 40.) We started by letting them know that we were'nt going to tell them what to eat, that is, they could still shop the same items and put the same things on their plates. We told them that we were going to rearrange/reapportion the stuff that they were already eating.

This was tantamount to ratcheting up the tofu, spirulina, tempeh, setan, and fractionated isolates on the protein front and lots more vegetables on the carbohydrate front, with more monounsaturate fat from nuts, seeds, avocado, etc. for fat.

Immediately these two ladies felt and looked a lot better. One of them eventualy came over to my house and had her first steak in ten years. (BTW properly proteinating vegetarians is the first step to revealing the inadequacies of their diet. Get the brain working first. We need that before we even broach the subject of animal sources for the protein.)

We used to see John Robbins around the gym but never spoke with him, but his health issues were obvious to those who could see.

John Robbins represents the intersection of bad politics and nutritional science with the result being that he's forged a serious role in undermining the health of many thousands.

Coach

Old 10-09-2003, 02:12 PM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Ay carumba. I looked at that. "If you want to be a hero and your IQ's nearly zero."? That reminds me why I live in Kentucky. I don't have to justify my politics. Everyone I work with hunts at least deer, and many of them hunt duck and turkey. That's actually probably the best way to get your Paleo meat. I'll need to invest in a rifle (actually rifles), though, before I can start doing that. Hey, maybe Ted Nugent's "Kill it and Grill it" could be the unofficial Paleo cookbook?

I will say that if I could afford it I would eat only Kosher meat--chicken, beef, etc. It does sort of freak me out that chicken are fed chicken. Kosher laws prohibit that sort of thing.

Also, I want to be clear that I think John Robbins is an idiot. I have found in the past that every once in a while I learn something even from imbeciles, in the sense that even a broken clock is right twice a day. So I read everyone.