CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-14-2009, 06:18 AM   #21
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: When is enough enough?

Michael,

You're question has been on mind lately. Based on your age mainly, you have some years of fairly easy fitness gains that I wouldn't waste. I have never successfully "maintained" fitness, I'm always getting more or less fit. (But I'm also always more or less fit, so I see where you're at) I betcha since you're willing to maintain you could focus on strength since you like that better until your conditioning was noticably lacking and then go back to a more blended program. It seems like the commitiment to improve in one area is about the same as to maintain across the board, so you might just as well work toward improvement.

In my case, I've never moved continuously up or down in my fitness. It always seems like I'm burned out on one thing so I'm focussed more on another. For example, right now I can't run due to injury but my swimming is getting better and I'm working on improving my ME. Eventually, my run will come back and I'll reduce one or the other. The thing about CF for me is that constantly varied keeps me from being burned out longer. (Although when that happened, it happened hard.)
Old 08-14-2009, 03:07 PM   #22
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:
Re: When is enough enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Michael,

You're question has been on mind lately. Based on your age mainly, you have some years of fairly easy fitness gains that I wouldn't waste. I have never successfully "maintained" fitness, I'm always getting more or less fit. (But I'm also always more or less fit, so I see where you're at) I betcha since you're willing to maintain you could focus on strength since you like that better until your conditioning was noticably lacking and then go back to a more blended program. It seems like the commitiment to improve in one area is about the same as to maintain across the board, so you might just as well work toward improvement.

In my case, I've never moved continuously up or down in my fitness. It always seems like I'm burned out on one thing so I'm focussed more on another. For example, right now I can't run due to injury but my swimming is getting better and I'm working on improving my ME. Eventually, my run will come back and I'll reduce one or the other. The thing about CF for me is that constantly varied keeps me from being burned out longer. (Although when that happened, it happened hard.)
Hey Robert,

your post is interesting. What you talk about, the burnout, is part of why I posted this.

While maintaining a life balance is one reason to just focus on maintaining fitness, I also think about the long term effects on your body of a very demanding fitness programme.

To get where I am, I pushed myself really, really hard at times, like most people here. Sometimes I would be lying in bed aching at nights unable to sleep (probably close to overtraining). I'd finish workouts so F'd up my teeth would be tickling, I'd almost be passed out.

Working out like that for years on end can't be good for many of the systems in your body. Even if you don't eventually destroy your joints, you've gotta be hurting your nervous, hormonal, and other systems. And of course, you'll be placing your digestive system under strain feeding such activities.

It may be worth it to some to risk shaving years off their lives, or reducing the quality of their lives, in the pursuit of "elite" fitness, but you'd have to ask yourself why you are doing it.

For me, I've already outlined my reasons. The level of fitness I'm at is enjoyable, meets the needs of my life, and in simply maintaining my fitness, my body feels much better. Less aches and pains, and a better sense of well being. I'm using the extra time I have to do more stretching and joint mobility work and feel great.

Some people like working out hard for itself, they feel like they are challenging themselves, which is of course absolutely fine. But personally, I just feel like there are millions of other ways to challenge oneself.

I'd just like to add that the thoughts expressed above are purely personal and are no disrespect to those who do pursue elite fitness.