CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Shane Gibson

Profile:
Losing Strength...Programming Thoughts?

I got on the MEBB program for about 2 months and saw a major decline in my ability to do anything that lasted over 15 minutes. So I decided to stop trying to write my own programming (much like CFSB, MEBB requires to pick your own metcons) and went back to main page which is what I had done exclusively for 10 months preceeding the MEBB stuff.

Sigh...

After only a month of going back to dedicated main page programming I can already feel my level of pure strength going down which I don't like. After thinking for a while about periodization I have come up with some thoughts. This is mostly going to be thoughts at random and I would like your overall feedback:

1. I could just say screw it, I am CrossFitting for a hobby not a living, and I could just stick with main page and get over it. It's not like I won't still be very fit and strong by following main page only.

2. I don't want to quit CrossFitting completely for any period of time, so straight strength training for a period of time is not an option.

3. I am considering periodizing CrossFit Football with main page. Something like 2-3 week or 1 month blocks back and forth.

4. I am also considering, due to a lack of endurance being my biggest weakness, periodizing Crossfit Football, main page & CrossFit Endurance in 2-3 week or 1 month blocks.

5. I have read and understand the CrossFit Strength Bias program. I don't want to do this for one major reason: writing or picking my own WODs has never worked well for me as I play unintentionally to my strengths and the things that I like to do. The Strength Bias program as written requires you to select your own WODs based on predicted length...I have been there with MEBB and I don't want to go there again.

6. I could also just stick with main page except a couple times a week throw in additional strength work as part of my warm-up or cool-down when I have time.

7. Am I just being unreasonable and losing strength after dropping MEBB and going back to main page is expected? I just didn't expect it to be so quick and so noticable.

Okay...thoughts? Also, specifically thoughts on the periodizing and time block lengths? THANKS!
Old 08-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Michael Garmon

Profile:
Re: Losing Strength...Programming Thoughts?

An alternative is to follow Coach Rut's MEBB blog at http://coachrut.blogspot.com/ (W/F/S). That way you aren't picking your own met cons. If you feel like that isn't enough endurance stuff, one day a week do the main page WOD.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Lately, I've been thinking to myself why the heck do I care if I can do an intense MC over 15" anyway? They are not fun, I don't truly enjoy them, I enjoy lifting more, I have no real reason to do it for my real life (not functional to me). So, one option is certainly, who cares about your endurance over 15 minutes. Maybe you're different.

But regarding the short MC's in CFSB, it is simple to keep it random. I used two ways; use the MP wod but shorten it or put together your own hopper of short MC's and and pick at random. You could even go to the short MC thread and roll some dice and say you are going to do the MC on post "12" or whatever. Randomization is really quite easy. Or you could do the CFFB MC for the day.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

What are your lift numbers? Periodization isn't always the answer.

You could always do a strength program and add some METCON to it. I did it with SS and TM and had OK results.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
William Jackson

Profile:

check out crossfit fredericton's WODs. they pretty much follow the MP with qa few alterations and i think they post 5 days a week. they use a sort of black box to maintain strength and dont neglect long WODs. plus Tony and Jodi Bainbridge are bad@ss both metcon and strength (tony has +500lb DL and i think Jodi's DL is Canada National record for her weightclass).
Old 08-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

So what exactly are you training for again? No sport or athletic activity?

If so, train for what you want to do...

If you're someone who needs consistent strength work to keep strength then you need to have that regardless of your other training... IF you want to get stronger that is

Last edited by Steven Low : 08-13-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:

My thoughts are, it seems like you really want to be strong, but you feel like you should have great endurance too.

Try one programme for three months, I'd recommend Crossfit Football. Give whichever programme you choose a fair go, and see where it lands you.

Then adapt as you see fit. But don't mix and change too much or you won't know which programme is screwing things up for you.

Most of all, just have fun man! Especially if your job doesn't depend on it.

Work those strength moves and then impress the "ladies" with your ape like strength!!! Uh huh!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
Shane Gibson

Profile:

Thanks for the input guys. My lift numbers are okay I guess, I weigh about 173# and my deadlift is 375#, standing press 165#, clean 235#, snatch 185#, back squat 315#, front squat 265#, push press 205#, jerk 235#, bench 300#'ish (haven't 1RM in a long time)...all in around the last 6 months. I probably have more in me in the front & back squats & bench, but I workout by myself and I don't have a cage, so I hold back on those lifts to minimize risk of injury during a failure.

I usually do pretty well maintaining strength, this was just the first time that I noticed such a quick drop.

I don't really train for anything except for fun. Crossfit and fitness in general is my hobby. Fitness has nothing to do with my career. Basically I compete in Crossfit compeitions whenever the opportunity arises. I did the SW qualifiers back in early May and then did a local box competition in late June, I am doing FGBIV in September and I have another local box competition in October. What happened is after the qualifiers I got on the MEBB program and then got crushed at the local comp in late June because it was mostly light weight high rep stuff. So I decided my training need to be more well rounded specifically to gain my endurance back. I have already seen an quick increase in endurance but have quickly noticed my pure strength levels go down.

So, long story short, my fitness goals are to be a well rounded Crossfitter...at least well rounded enough to have a decent showing at competitons. BUT, being strong has always sort of defined me and being strong without it hampering my other abilities too much is important to me. I like being able to lift heavy crap and it is fun to do so.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Add in some low volume strength work here and there before your WODs... if you can handle it. Generally one lift per day... low reps 1-5 and one or two sets at work weight.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
Gordon Cooke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Jackson View Post
check out crossfit fredericton's WODs. they pretty much follow the MP with qa few alterations and i think they post 5 days a week. they use a sort of black box to maintain strength and dont neglect long WODs. plus Tony and Jodi Bainbridge are bad@ss both metcon and strength (tony has +500lb DL and i think Jodi's DL is Canada National record for her weightclass).

Crossfit Fredericton is the is site I follow. They add strength work before the WOD.