CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #11
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:
Re: When is enough enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean J Hunter View Post
I've had some similar thoughts Micheal in regards to Stamina goals. I have reached some chosen goals for majority of Stamina movements pretty quickly and am now maintaining while I focus more on Strength.

A mixture of deminishing returns in different areas and Sport specific goals...

Arn't you a Cop?

How are you balances in line with the CF Goals and hows your Gymnastic skills, that can be fun to mess with, especially Bar and ring work...?

Sean
Hey Sean,

yeah, I'll bet you're pretty fit by now if you've been following that plan of yours!

I think everyone is obliged to maintain a certain level of fitness. Enough to keep themselves healthy and not place a strain on everyone else who has to support themselves through the health system. I am a cop, so I am obliged to maintain a higher level of fitness then the general populace.

This entails following a certain amount of exercise. Once you reach an established level though, you need to ask yourself whether you want to make exercise your hobby and keep pushing for PR's, or just maintain and follow other things that may interest you more.

One should never give up maintaining that fitness, but pushing for another 3 or 4 kgs on your deadlift could entail weeks of work at a certain point.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:08 AM   #12
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Right there with you man.

My very uneducated thoughts on the topic are

- Where as with Professional Athletes their fitness essentially is the mission. Industrial Athletes the fitness services the mission.
- There is a 'Good Enough' principle that you can apply to your goal setting, kind in line with the law of deminishing returns.
- We could spend time uping those scores but what other skills sets should you be working on with that limited time resource we have.
- Language Skills
- Marksmanship
- Specialty Skills
- s**t that you cops need to maintain, that I'm sure I have no idea about.
- etc etc.

My limited undersdtanding is that if you want to maintain relatively high Stamina / Cardio levels (i.e. Level 4+) then Advanced level Strength is pretty much top, perhaps can push it up to Advanced +. I think to get above this you need to drop the Stamina all together build the Strength and then rebuild the Stamina....?? Hell what do I know.

In regards to my program I saw really great gains quickly and then as I've reached Intermediate Strength levels have started seeing the gains drop off. Now I need to move my program to a periodization type thing, yet another learning curve.

Also I'm building up to a half Marathon over the next 14 wks for Rehab reasons, so any strength stuff is pretty much a waste of time, I figured maintain the Strength levels and focus on topping off the Stamina and doing the damn LSD.

What can I say...it's a fun ride.

S

Last edited by Sean J Hunter : 08-05-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
"Learn and play new sports." -- Katherine
Seconded. You sound bored/burnt out. To me that's not a good reason to go into maintenance mode for any long period of time; A good program should have short plateaus and rest periods built into it anyway. It is a great reason to change modes though. There is so much to learn in the many different sports/disciplines, one could spend their whole life mastering only one or two of them, or becoming a jack-of-many of them. That said, being active doesn't necessarily have to mean constantly going full bore at something, although for the right type of person the intensity is what makes them feel alive. You could spend some time doing distinctly un-intense but stimulating physical activities: fishing, playing an instrument, walking your dog, gardening, playing with kids, volunteering, cooking/baking, dance lessons! to name a few. However, I have found that after being an athlete for so many years it has really become a part of me, to the extent that I feel a certain emptiness if I take more than a few days off. You will come back to your true self one way or another. This is a way of life; the context of your own personal experiences and struggles will lead to the discovery of just what exactly that means.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #14
Christopher E Bloom

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bruce Mailman View Post
As in, I am now happy with almost every aspect of my fitness. I'm strong enough, fast enough, and fit enough. I'm not elite in terms of Crossfitters, but I am elite compared to the general populace.

Male 30 yo 100 kg give or take, and 6 feet.
Michael,
Seems to me that you have made your own definition of Fitness that works for you. Good on you. I say, as long as you are acheiving your goals then roll with it.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #15
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:

Yeah, I am pretty happy with where I am, and wasn't really looking for validation or guidance with this thread.

I was more interested in other peoples' views on this; ie, how many people plan to keep pushing forever, how do people see that kind of philosophy fitting into a work/life balance, etc.

I also feel that continuing to push for elite fitness eventually becomes detrimental to ones (very) long term health, and was interested on peoples views on that.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #16
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
I was more interested in other peoples' views on this; ie, how many people plan to keep pushing forever, how do people see that kind of philosophy fitting into a work/life balance, etc.

I also feel that continuing to push for elite fitness eventually becomes detrimental to ones (very) long term health, and was interested on peoples views on that.
I've been training in aikido consistently for more than 15 years, am still improving, and see no reason to quit. As for work/life balance, my husband kicks me out of the house because I get so cranky if I haven't been to the dojo recently.

On the other hand, it long ago became clear that I'm unlikely to ever open my own school, publish a book or a line of videos, hit the seminar circuit, or any of the other things that "elite" aikidoka do. Which is also a matter of work/life balance: there are other things in my life that I want too much to make the sacrifices that being "elite" in aikido would take.

I don't have anywhere near that much Crossfit experience, so it's too soon to know how my feelings about Crossfit will evolve. In aikido, though, I've come to enjoy the journey, independent of any notions about my eventual destination.

Katherine
Old 08-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #17
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
As in, I am now happy with almost every aspect of my fitness. I'm strong enough, fast enough, and fit enough. I'm not elite in terms of Crossfitters, but I am elite compared to the general populace.

In terms of longevity, I think it's healthier (and a heck of a lot more fun) to reach good levels of fitness, then just maintain it. You have a good level of muscle, but don't strain your digestive and other systems by trying to pack on too much. You don't strain your nervous system with insane workloads. You don't strain your joints trying to force your tendons and ligaments to keep up with the newfound strength of your muscles.

You just cruise along, in my case with four workouts per week (still experimenting with this) and devote other time to play. It's like, I've done my work getting here, now I get to focus my energies on other parts of my life. Career, family, and such.

Anyone else in the same boat? If so, what were your levels of fitness when you decided you were satisfied with where you are?

A few of my numbers are: 2 x bodyweight deadlift, 1 minute 4 secs 400 m, 4:08 Fran, 24 round Cindy. One thing I never got (and only tried a couple of times) was a snatch, a good overhead squat I think for both because I never invested time in the technique and shoulder flexibility) and a muscle up.

Male 30 yo 100 kg give or take, and 6 feet.
Wouldn't maintaining a level of fitness defy the second law of thermodynamics. I'm not so sure it's possible bro. Your body system is very complex, are you going to look at all your PRs and ensure that you NEVER best them from now on?

I think instead of labeling this as enough fitness, you're really just saying you want to maintain Fitness at a certain priority in your life. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll perform better or worse next time you hit the gym...just that you may miss your next time to hit the gym, due to your daughter's piano recital.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #18
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Wouldn't maintaining a level of fitness defy the second law of thermodynamics. I'm not so sure it's possible bro. Your body system is very complex, are you going to look at all your PRs and ensure that you NEVER best them from now on?

I think instead of labeling this as enough fitness, you're really just saying you want to maintain Fitness at a certain priority in your life. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll perform better or worse next time you hit the gym...just that you may miss your next time to hit the gym, due to your daughter's piano recital.
Hey Aushion,

I'm sure you're quite right that you couldn't expect to maintain EXACTLY a 2 x bodyweight deadlift, 75 push ups max, 1 min 4oom run every second of every day. Obviously.

But I think you can "maintain fitness" in terms of sometimes being a bit over your best, sometimes a bit under your best, but always within a certain range of your best.

Actually as I write this, I see your point. As I'll only be putting in a certain amount of time, that will be the defining factor in my fitness, as opposed to the level I'm at. However, the level I'm at will be the measure of my fitness, and if that were to fall, I'd of course put more time in.. so I guess really, the maintenance of fitness is now a very high priority in my life (I didn't work as hard as I did to get where I am to let it all fall away) as opposed to the improvement of fitness.

So I suppose in some ways, one can be very dedicated to fitness (still putting in hours of intense work a week) without actually trying to improve oneself.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:00 AM   #19
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

This brings up a very interesting point with the US Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT).

Essentially every 6 months you need to do about
71-PU o 2:00 + 78-SU in 2:00 + 13:00-2 Mile
to Max the test.

Interestingly enough, I've talked with soe guys who are doing longer then 6 month intellectual focused schools, DLI language school is a good example, so is recruiting, do they....

A) Maintain your stamina levels while focusing on increasing the limit Strength

B) Let your stamina drop away from this level so you can focus even more on Limit Strength building. (i.e. CF-SB vs Starting Strength.) and then ramp up your Stamina 6-8-12 wks (oe whatever) before the test.

Argubale you might spend more time and energy maintaining your stamina then you would trying to ramp it up in the areas of PU-SU-and run.

Sean
Old 08-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #20
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:

I'd focus on strength then ramping stamina back up.

Of course, I wouldn't bet the test on it

And I love being a big strong boy most of all the fitness aspects anyway so I'm biased.