CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:15 AM   #31
Daniel Higgins

Profile:
Re: anyone here been to t-nation lately?

He mentions in summary: "And CrossFit, while it's fun to make jokes about, sure as hell produces well-conditioned trainees, which is why it's so popular with elite police and military units."

While I do not argue that it serves the law enforcement, fire/rescue, and military well, he neglects to mention that they aren't the ONLY people doing it.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:17 AM   #32
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I think a lot of the cons for every sport were tongue in cheek because most of them were written to produce a laugh. The cult one about CF did draw an out loud chuckle from me.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:36 AM   #33
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

LEO and military aren't the only ones that do it, just like football players aren't the only ones that do CFFB. But it gives someone without intimate knowledge of CF an idea of the kinds of things a CFer trains for and can do.

"Increasing work across broad time domians" doesn't say anything to most people, but saying "Think of a cop, knock down the door, chase the bad guy down, wrestle him the ground, arrest him, throw him in the back seat, then get the neighbors cat out of the tree. THats what we do."

I think it was overall a pretty good article. One thing they missed is that since CF sits in the middle of just about every athletic event (See the thread on "what is a sport") it is a gate way to them all.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #34
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I went back to the article and if you notice the incredibly hot chick doing the deadlifts with pvc pipe.

head isn't in neutral alignment
scaplua isn't over the bar
she's wearing running shoes for deadlifts

I'm willing to bet she has hip extension issues as well. If anyone has her contact information, I'd be will to help her with all of these issues.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:42 AM   #35
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Quote:
I'd be will to help her with all of these issues.
You're a true humanitarian.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:34 AM   #36
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:

I'm surprised they included Crossfit as a strength sport.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #37
Shane Yost

Profile:

The infamous Gymnast bicep question pops up every few months on sites like these.
T Nation is a good site but it doesn't always possess the brightest individuals but you can say that about any site. In comparison to BB.com, T Nation is full of scholars.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #38
Stanley Walter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Yost View Post
The infamous Gymnast bicep question pops up every few months on sites like these.
T Nation is a good site but it doesn't always possess the brightest individuals but you can say that about any site. In comparison to BB.com, T Nation is full of scholars.
All you have to do is not take every single article seriously.

I visit the site daily, and there certainly is a lot of stuff I disagree with, but its still interesting.

I don't follow their workouts for one, but I did love the article about the Power Cleans.

Mark would probably agree with it as well.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #39
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Walter View Post
I don't follow their workouts for one, but I did love the article about the Power Cleans.
The article about power cleans would have been more accurate if every time they said "power cleans" they said "squat snatches" instead. Flexibility, power, athleticism, coordination, yada yada...

Old 07-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #40
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Higgins View Post
Well, wudya know. They mention CF in this "battle of the strength sports" article posted today. Actually, they kind of breeze over CF, unfortunately he says more about BB than anything else.

And he seems severely misinformed regarding CF. But other than that, its actually an interesting pro-con comparison with all of the sports.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...trength_sports (Not WFS - images and text)

BB a strength sport....please!
I think that is a great and hilarious article, and not really disrespectiful to Crossfit either (Their "The Truth About Crossfit" [WFS except for typtical T-nation shirtless guys and bikini gals]article is also pretty evenhandedly written, though not always complimentary). The author probably never encounters them, but a segment on male gymnasts would have been good also.

And yes, the people on their message boards are fairly awful people, but I'd like to try and remind people here to keep ourselves a cut above.

Closed Thread