CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 05-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
Steve Spear

Profile:
Deadlift form check

I did the deadlift WOD today. Previous PR 325#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRnO5EbjcyIWFS??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rkk_xu_QH8WFS??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8XM9gCut88WFS??

I know the last was rough, and I know I need weight lifting shoes.... anything else to help me hit 400?

Thanks
Steve

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 06-03-2008 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Deadlift form check

This is far from a comprehensive critique, but here's what I saw:

1.) Yeah, get rid of the shoes (do it in socks or barefoot if you don't have weightlifting shoes)

2.) Even at 355 your hips are rising and knees are almost fully extended by the time you begin pulling it off of the floor. As someone who suffers from this exact same problem, my advice -- tough to swallow though it may be -- would be to scale down until your shoulders are rising as fast as your hips coming off of the ground.

3.) Your starting position at 355 looks like you need to get your chest up a bit more. You have to keep your whole core tight at that start, and it will help with #2. Your starting position improves a bit in the second two, but bottom line is I think the weight might be too heavy for you to be lifting with "good form."

It looks like on the 3rd lift you didn't quite lock out at the top.

I am a little surprised with the apparent ease you have in cleaning the weight with just your back once your hips and knees are extended.

My thoughts on getting 400? Scale back down to where you can do it with good form and then work up from there. My 1RM is 295 with terrible form, and for that reason alone, I don't count it as my 1RM.

Just $0.02 from a relatively untrained eye.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
Dave Hancock

Profile:

I agree with Elliot's comments. Regarding the shoes, just wear any non-squishy soled shoe. You don't need weightlifting shoes.

I cringed at seeing you lifting mostly with your back. You're still young so you can get away with things, but they will catch up to you. Take it from one who had some low back problems, you don't want them.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

You need to take the slack out of your body before you lift. When you are in a good starting postion, if you move, the bar moves. THis is not the case with your lift. Look at how you shoulders and back are moving before the weight starts to move.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
Ryan Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
2.) Even at 355 your hips are rising and knees are almost fully extended by the time you begin pulling it off of the floor. As someone who suffers from this exact same problem, my advice -- tough to swallow though it may be -- would be to scale down until your shoulders are rising as fast as your hips coming off of the ground.
This is the main thing I noticed. The shoulder to hip angle should be maintained until you get the bar up to knee level. In the video, your hips are almost parallel with your shoulders before the bar even moves. Otherwise, good job!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
Tony Zaborski

Profile:

Also,

I'm not sure how those cargo shorts are treating you but you'll find less hitch if you have less restrictive pants. Technique wise everyone else was spot on just get your butt lower before the initial pull and drive your feet through the ground.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
Robert Callahan

Profile:

as has been said before hips raising before the weight leaves the ground causing all the stress to be placed on your back. squeeze your shoulder together and keep that upper back tight and do not allow yourself to move your legs unless the weight comes up with them.

Also I noticed that you get down in good form and then kind of jerk to try and get the weight moving, this leads to a lot of form break downs before the weight has even left the ground. You should get into that good form at the bottom and then try to "squeeze" and lift the weight in a controlled manner, trying to jerk will just result in injury

-Robert
Old 05-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
Steve Spear

Profile:

It felt like I was coming up early. Thanks for the tips guys I'll have to go down in weight and work on it....
Old 05-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

your back is def. not straight when you lift.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:20 AM   #10
Jason M Struck

Profile:

PL;

red lights for hitch and no lock out