CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 04-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
James Forbes

Profile:
Squatting

I sold my squat rack to a friend about 8 months ago with every intention of buying a new one, but I had to spend the money on something else. So in order to complete the crossfit total today, I had to go with my wife to her big box gym. When I arrived some big bodybuilding type was at the squat rack. I watched him do a few heavy sets of a couple reps each. He was using 315 lbs. In between each set, he would check himself out in the mirror and flex his legs. It was comical, but I quietly waited my turn. Keeping in mind that I have not squatted anything other than airsquats in at least 6 months, I was praying to get to 365, but thought 315 was more realistic. However, when I got to 365 I pushed it up quite easily. This acutally got the attention of the body builder. I saw him peeking over. I then figured I would give 405 lbs a try. I saw the other guy make a weird face when I put on a 4th plate on each side. I knew he was thinking there was no way. I kind of thought he was right, but his look motivated me to put it up. I did! To be honest I think I had anoter 10-15 ilbs in me, but I wasn't going to ask him to spot me. After I put up the four plates he walked away to the other side of the gym. I'm sure it was hard for him to watch a guy that weighs about 30 lbs less than him put up more weight than he did. I think I really need to get a squat rack again.
I got 465 on the deadlift and 185 on the press (finally got a bodyweight press) . Crossfit Total: 1055!
Old 04-06-2008, 02:37 AM   #2
Jack Westman

Profile:
Re: Squatting

James,
Outstanding lifts man. Congrats on the total.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
Richard Vanmeerbeek

Profile:

Such an improvement with only air squats for the past 6 months, now that's motivating !

Old 04-06-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
James Forbes

Profile:

I think what has really helped is that I have been doing my air squats really deep and deadlifting well. All my leg stabilizing muscles (especially my adductors) felt really strong from doing the air squats real deep, and my back felt locked in and rock solid from the dead lifting. I think this helped dramatically,
Old 04-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Forbes View Post
I think what has really helped is that I have been doing my air squats really deep and deadlifting well. All my leg stabilizing muscles (especially my adductors) felt really strong from doing the air squats real deep, and my back felt locked in and rock solid from the dead lifting. I think this helped dramatically,
I've noticed a similar improvement from really going deep on the air squats. Not as dramatic, though - 1055 lb. CFT! Great work. Next time I'm gunning for 290/170/470 for a 930 @ 6'4" 215. I've done about 260/150/445 but I'm confident that my squat and press have improved. I'm almost pressing to handstand and my posterior chain is definitely stronger than before.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
David Meverden

Profile:

Deep on the air squats, ehh? I'm gonna try that from now on.

Squats are something I definitely want to work on. I started crossfitting more seriously in the last couple months starting from a pretty good level of fitness thanks to gymnastic and boxing type training (examples: 20 rounds on cindy, good pistols and excellent L pullups) but I had never done heavy squats or deadlifts before. Because of this my unofficial CFT (put together from max loads used in some other more conventional lifting so maybe not quite my real CFT) was an unimpressive 560 (square in the novice range for my body weight of ~165).

My 205 squat felt real rough and I think those deeper air squats (in addition to higher rep, medium weight squats for a little while) will help my body adjust and feel more solid in the future. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
Lindsey Forbes

Profile:

Yay you! I want to be able to do a ton of pull ups and make everyone at my "big box gym" go...woah.

It'll be sweet.

After you told me this story I wanted to come out of spinning and say, "that's my husband!"