CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 05-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
Sterling Haglund

Profile:
How Crossfit Found Me...

My name is Sterling Haglund and I am a Crossfit bum, or I wish I could be. I am a Crossfit junkie for sure. I live and breath the sport, and this is my story how Crossfit found me on February 27, 2007.

It was a normal day in geekland, just like any other except on this day I had to set-up a returning employee’s computer. This employees name was AJ. He worked in our office two years prior and he was your typical male office worker. 30 pounds over weight, ate like **** and didn’t exercise but the AJ that stood before me now was a lean and muscular man. My jaw hit the floor, I was in shock, his fat gut was now an 8 pack, soft arms were now ripped and the muscles in his forearms moved with every finger movement, his face now chiseled and he wore confidence like an Armani suit.

I exclaimed “AJ what have you been doing, you look amazing?!” The words he spoke next would forever change my life…”Crossfit”.

AJ had been doing this “Crossfit” for the last two years preparing for his chance to join RCMP. His knowledge of this mystique training regime was bountiful. He explained the equation of Power (work) = Distance/ time, spoke words I didn’t understand Multi-functional Exercise?, and he explained “The equation proves if you bend over, lift a weight off the ground, and push it above your head you will generate more power then doing a standard bicep curl. The distance travelled and the time it takes are what generates the work…” He went on and I listened like a curious child absorbing everything he said like a sponge, he continued “Finally, Crossfit also incorporates gymnastics, weights, and cardio into a single workout. The idea here is intensity….” he said. I had to know more, I had to discover this “Crossfit’ for myself, as I walked away wheels spinning in my head, he uttered a few last words. “One last thing, Crossfit is like an addiction once you start you might not want to stop. Check out Crossfit.com…” Boy did he hit the nail on the head!

One of my first experiences with Crossfit was a workout named Cindy, I documented this workout a few days after my introduction to Crossfit. I thought I was in decent shape, after all I’d been weight training since 96?, dabbled in some boxing style exercises and hell, I played slo-pitch 3 days a week. Well I was beat down and humbled by the most basic of movements known to man. I mean how hard could a few pull ups, some push ups and air squats be? air squats? How hard could they be?

Here is what I wrote on March 3, 2007.

“Cindy”
5pull ups
10 pushups
15 air squats

As many rounds in twenty minutes

“…off with Cindy, I could have killed myself but when I was starting to feel dizzy and sicky I slowed right down took a drink caught my breath and after twenty minutes I completed a whopping 8 rounds.”

Today I’m a “Fit as F@#k” Support analyst by day and husband and father the rest of the time. I am far stronger and leaner then ever. My crossfit total is over 900 and body fat went from 12% to 8% with 7 pounds more muscle, I attribute these gains to Coach Darren Clarke’s Crossfit WOD’s and I follow the Zone diet which goes hand in hand with the Crossfit lifestyle.

Since finding Crossfit my wife Michelle is now is addicted to Crossfit and she is a rockstar, our daughters are being raised on Crossfit as you can tell from my blog. Sometimes I find it hard to put Crossfit into words, you either get it or you don’t. You either love it or hate it, I don’t think there is an in between. When your ready to truly change your life and appearance take my advise, walk through the doors of a Crossfit box preferably our box Crossfit Langley. Be nervous, humble, check your ego at the door and get ready to have your *** kicked. Trust me you’ll thank me later!

RCMP Constable Atish Prasad is stationed in Surrey BC, we still keep in touch.

Breath Fire
Sterling Haglund
www.vikingcrossfit.ca
Old 05-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Re: How Crossfit Found Me...

Great story, Sterling! Congratulations, and welcome!
Old 05-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Tristan Warneke

Profile:

Sterling-

I think everyone has that introductory moment who becomes a CrossFitter for life, even if you can't pinpoint the date and time. Awesome story. My CF story has to do with a gamer's message board, the movie 300, and my slacker brother who did the first workout with me a year ago (it involved 45#s held overhead while doing walking lunges and then burpees without the weight). That almost killed the both of us. I went "WOOHOO!!!" and he decided it wasn't for him. A year later I'm 20#s lighter, stronger and fitter than I've ever been.

Tristan aka TripMN
Old 05-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
Sterling Haglund

Profile:

Thanks Tristan! It is so awesome to hear how people found CF and how it changed their life. I'll never be a OPT, Speal or B but I'm twice the guy I was before I started and plan on being three times that this time next year!