CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #31
Chris Walsh

Profile:
Re: So I was really bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
19 blocks sounds pretty close, I would have thought 20 with double fat. I tend to be a bigger believer in putting the snacks between lunch and after dinner, but I don't think it matters all that much in the end.

Humans need to have a little fat. Leanness much below 8% as you described and I've found I suffer as well. I sit between 8-10% and do much better than when I'm down around 6%. I sit around 175 at 5'11".

I had forgotten about posting this...in fact I gave this calculator to a coworker today and she couldn't believe 1 fat block was 3 almonds.
George,

The Natural Hormonal Enhancement(NHE) by Rob Faigin

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Hormon...7352269&sr=8-1

is all about the fat. He basically has everyone do a carb purge for a week <20grams a day until you make a metabolic shift in where your body looks for energy. All the glycogen is used up and it has to break into its savings bank, as you add some carbs back in the form of carb loads and fruit/nuts you still are more adept at using fat as energy. He prescribes a carb load every third then every fourth night to level off the T3. He claims you get 9units of ATP per fat gram and 4 for carbs(don't quote me), point being you get a bigger performance bang for your buck. I am not sure. I always had the worst performance days on the 3rd and 4th day out from the last carb load. The morning after the carb load I would invariably PR on something.

I think zone makes sense for performance. If you are morbidly obese or need to drop more than 20lbs, the NHE/Anabolic plans get it done quick. Then taper into Zone. Question: When you say double on fat are you prescribing 60% fat and 20 protein, 20 carb? Paleo compliant as well I presume?
Old 04-06-2008, 01:05 AM   #32
Jaime Steele

Profile:

Nice one George - the spreadsheet is great!
Old 04-06-2008, 02:18 AM   #33
Todd Angel

Profile:

Wow! George,

Just started the zone, your spreadsheet is a blessing. Thank you again. Take care.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:53 AM   #34
Jaime Steele

Profile:

So cool this.

Could v1.2 allow us to calculate the block splits depending on workout time?

i.e. on the sheet that you have shown us your 17 block day could we click on our body type and it will autocomplete the little table below?

Just a thought! Call me a lazy person and tell me to go away if you wish!
Old 04-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #35
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walsh View Post
George,

The Natural Hormonal Enhancement(NHE) by Rob Faigin

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Hormon...7352269&sr=8-1

is all about the fat. He basically has everyone do a carb purge for a week <20grams a day until you make a metabolic shift in where your body looks for energy. All the glycogen is used up and it has to break into its savings bank, as you add some carbs back in the form of carb loads and fruit/nuts you still are more adept at using fat as energy. He prescribes a carb load every third then every fourth night to level off the T3. He claims you get 9units of ATP per fat gram and 4 for carbs(don't quote me), point being you get a bigger performance bang for your buck. I am not sure. I always had the worst performance days on the 3rd and 4th day out from the last carb load. The morning after the carb load I would invariably PR on something.

I think zone makes sense for performance. If you are morbidly obese or need to drop more than 20lbs, the NHE/Anabolic plans get it done quick. Then taper into Zone. Question: When you say double on fat are you prescribing 60% fat and 20 protein, 20 carb? Paleo compliant as well I presume?
If you aren't a marathoner or a long distance swimmer you don't need as many carbs. Marathoners always hit the wall due to them not being used to switching from carb to fat metabolism for an energy source. Long distance swimmers on the other hand (think English channel) are very good at it, hence the reason they put on a ton of fat before the swim and use it all up during the swim. Their best source for that is carbs. I'm not too sure that forcing your body through lack of carbohydrates to switch to using fat is a great idea for the regular CrossFitter. I lost 30 pounds implementing the Zone strictly as is, and I can tell you that it was mainly fat loss. I'm not short on muscle at all, my workout log can prove that, as I continually improve in both strength and power areas (though the certification definitely helped in the technique). The biggest thing I find there is that I can do a muscle-up when I'm at 185 versus when I did my first one at 170. I also find it much, much easier to do with more power.

The only reason I put in more fat once lean enough it because I can't live on 1500 calories a day (which is what 17 strict blocks is). I feel like garbage, dizzy, cloudy thinking, etc. 2100 (17 with double fat) I can. My performance suffers at 1500, it is excellent at 2100, and I gain weight when I go over 2700. Thats me though, everyone is different.

I eat strictly Paleo with two vices. 1) I drink kefir every day. Its probiotics are too good to pass up. 2) Occasionally I eat 1/2 cup of all natural organic ice cream.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #36
Chris Walsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
If you aren't a marathoner or a long distance swimmer you don't need as many carbs. Marathoners always hit the wall due to them not being used to switching from carb to fat metabolism for an energy source. Long distance swimmers on the other hand (think English channel) are very good at it, hence the reason they put on a ton of fat before the swim and use it all up during the swim. Their best source for that is carbs. I'm not too sure that forcing your body through lack of carbohydrates to switch to using fat is a great idea for the regular CrossFitter. I lost 30 pounds implementing the Zone strictly as is, and I can tell you that it was mainly fat loss. I'm not short on muscle at all, my workout log can prove that, as I continually improve in both strength and power areas (though the certification definitely helped in the technique). The biggest thing I find there is that I can do a muscle-up when I'm at 185 versus when I did my first one at 170. I also find it much, much easier to do with more power.

The only reason I put in more fat once lean enough it because I can't live on 1500 calories a day (which is what 17 strict blocks is). I feel like garbage, dizzy, cloudy thinking, etc. 2100 (17 with double fat) I can. My performance suffers at 1500, it is excellent at 2100, and I gain weight when I go over 2700. Thats me though, everyone is different.

I eat strictly Paleo with two vices. 1) I drink kefir every day. Its probiotics are too good to pass up. 2) Occasionally I eat 1/2 cup of all natural organic ice cream.
So your not cutting into your protein or carbs to double your fat. Your just taking the normal blocks with twice the fat, thus more overall calories. Makes sense. I've sipped Udo's blend before a WOD with great results.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:00 AM   #37
Danny Housseas

Profile:

Hi George,

Thanks for the spreadsheet. I've added a little meal calculator in a new sheet at the end. I had to duplicate the P/C/F tables in the new sheet so as not to change the format of the original sheets. Other than that it works quite well.

Check it out, if you don't like it let me know and I'll remove it from the board. Tried to send you a provate message but it doesn't allow attachments. Hope this doesn't offend...
Attached Files
File Type: email Zone Block Calculator.xls (154.5 KB, 371 views)