CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-14-2008, 08:15 AM   #11
Rob Lorenzini

Profile:
Re: Kipping, dips and shoulder problems

Here is my 2 cents on shoulder problems and developing shoulder strength,,,

I played Football (american) in college and had a wicked dislocation, I went to therapy and did a ton of swimming to strengthen it up. Now if I ever have shoulder pain I know it is because I am not swimming enough.

Therefore I swim usually once per week usually about 500 - 1500 meters(w/ good form) to keep my shoulders healthy, it serves as a change of pace for my body. Pretty much as long as I swim once per week heavy dips, bench presses, oly lifting whatever does not bother my shoulders at all. For general shoulder health free style swimming is one of the best exercises for me. Just do not overdo it with swimming you can develop rotator cuff tendonitis.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:11 AM   #12
Jason Watson

Profile:

[quote=Ryan Blair;239405]World's best shoulder stability exercise TGU. Had bad shoulders couldn't kip or dip at all nor could I do bench with over 95lbs without alot of pain. After reading about the TGU - see video of Jeff Martone, I've been doing them for 5 months. I'm up to 100lbs, and my shoulder problems have vanished. Kipping and dipping like a fool now. Dipping with weight and kipping too. I owe it to CF and TGU. I would also do the static support on rings or dips, I've benefited from that as well.[/QU]

whats TGU?
Old 02-28-2008, 06:21 PM   #13
J L

Profile:

[quote=Jason Watson;265126]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Blair View Post
World's best shoulder stability exercise TGU. Had bad shoulders couldn't kip or dip at all nor could I do bench with over 95lbs without alot of pain. After reading about the TGU - see video of Jeff Martone, I've been doing them for 5 months. I'm up to 100lbs, and my shoulder problems have vanished. Kipping and dipping like a fool now. Dipping with weight and kipping too. I owe it to CF and TGU. I would also do the static support on rings or dips, I've benefited from that as well.[/QU]

whats TGU?
According to the FAQ section for acronyms, it is a "Turkish Get Up"....Just my two cents (which is worth even less since I am a complete novice who is currently nursing a groin strain), I have had a couple dislocations in the past, all in all CF has helped my shoulder..one thing that helps me is to warm up for a few minutes on the rower with an exagerated shoulder stroke, although it is considered bad rowing form, it helps loosen things up