CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #41
Tom Rawls

Profile:
Re: Balancing carbs, protein, fats at meals...why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hughes View Post
When we reduce our meat consumtion we get less B12.
A friendly amendment to Kevin's observation:

When we reduce our consumption of "animal products," we get less B12. Eggs and dairy, commonly eaten by ovo-lacto vegetarians, provide ample B-12.

My wife is a vegetarian. When she disagrees with me, I believe her to be cognitively impaired, but B-12 deficiency is not the problem.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:08 AM   #42
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Tom...You think its the Folic Acid?

But seriously, is the consumption of dairy a protein or carb source? I'm thinking the L/O Veg uses them primarilly for protein. If one were to increase their carb intake, with caloric intake remaining the same, would not the protein intake have to be reduced by a corresponding amount?

Last edited by Kevin Hughes : 10-05-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #43
Tom Rawls

Profile:

Kevin,

Being simple, I was only trying to make a simple point:

Vegetarians who eats eggs or dairy will get adequate B-12. We don't need much, and a little animal protein will do the trick.

As to whether increased carb intake will result in reduced protein intake, etc, that's too complex for me. Some carbs--whole grains, legumes--also contain protein, and quickly the equation requires a more scientific mind that mine.

I just push, pull, run, jump, lift, and eat. How much and how often is largely a matter of serendipity.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #44
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Rawls View Post
The latest issue of Performance Menu has an article about replenishing glycogen by Robb Wolf.
This article isn't available online is it? In a sample section or anything? I'm curious about it.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #45
Tom Rawls

Profile:

Performance Menu allows you to download one sample issue, I believe. That's how I came to read it. If you go to the web site, you should find what you need.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:50 PM   #46
Corey Duvall

Profile:

Thank you all, I certainly have my reading cut out for me this weekend. This has been quite a productive post in my evolution... I appreciate the well-rounded nature of the discussions here.

Anyone else learn more on these boards than they ever did in a lecture hall?
Old 10-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #47
Scott Parker

Profile:

garrett-

in response to you response to my post...very good points, and i have been thinking about that same thing for a while. is there a point where going past a certain point is too much and causes more harm than good? i guess the old saying, "everything in moderation" is the best way. thanks for the response.

scott
Old 10-06-2007, 12:52 PM   #48
Garrett Smith

Profile:

Scott,
I'm glad you understood and interpreted my post in the way I intended it.

Many bigtime strength coaches interpret "going too far" by the atlete's drive and determination to work out. I have personally found that if I don't let off the intensity every fourth week, my output slows down, my drive to workout goes down, and I seem to catch a cold around the end of the fourth week. So, I've learned that I can go hard for three weeks and take one off to avoid any of the dips in drive or my immune system.

One must look at the total stressors in their life and adjust around that. Within the last two years I've moved cities, started a practice (moved that as well), bought a practice to integrate into my first one (adding the stress of employees), expanded my office, and now I'm working on getting CF Tucson started (any day now, just working on the website). Am I surprised that my stress levels need a break from something one week a month? No! I've found that backing off on hard exercise is the easiest thing to "fit" into my schedule. I have noticed that my CNS gets burned out pretty easily compared to many people. Could I do more active recovery stuff? Absolutely.

One can do too much of anything, as in the common example of being able to kill oneself with too much water. Each person has different needs and capacities--even for B12, as was mentioned before. I was a lacto-ovo veg for several years when I was a triathlete and the lack of good protein, B12, and EPA/DHA combined with too much endurance exercise and soy, left MY system all whacked out. Others may be able to do just fine for a long time on that type of program (I do think it will catch them eventually).

Some people just need more meat than others. Some people could probably get away with animal products a couple times a week and be fine. Myself, if I don't get red meat often enough, I get antsy and anxious.

To each their own. However, everyone needs some source of adequate B12, EPA/DHA, and protein. That will be different for each person--especially nowadays that different genetic lines (cultures, heritages, races, however you wish to put it) are so intermingled. Brothers and sisters can have wildly different needs nutritionally (both due to gender differences and inheriting different dominant/recessive traits).