CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 12-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Shane Jensen

Profile:
133 KG Clean, 141x5 KG Front Squat

Cleans & Front Squats

After having my cleans kind of get away from me through September and October I've come back in the last month or so and really made a lot of progress.

I know the big thing that pops out here in this video is that I don't get my back set all the way on the cleans. Don't know why that was happening today because it normally isn't an issue.

293 was a 7 lb PR off the floor and puts me in pretty good position to hit 300 before the new year which would be awesome.

Any thoughts on either the cleans or the front squats are appreciated.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Mauricio Leal

Profile:
Re: 133 KG Clean, 141x5 KG Front Squat

Yeah it's not good that you're pulling with a rounded low back. Probably some hip and hamstring mobility to work on. Practice setting up well below your actual pulling position, then lifting your hips up slightly above to pre-load the hamstrings, then setting directly into your pulling position right before lift-off. This will usually make it easier to start with a fully flat back.

Also, you're landing soft/loose in the bottom of the clean, which again makes me cringe, and is probably the same mobility issues. It also is causing you to round your back as you come up out of the front squat.

Don't whip your head/neck back at the top either. Neutral spine. Fix your gaze on a focal point either directly ahead or on the floor ~10' in front.

On the other hand, your belted front squats afterward look pretty solid in the bottom. This is why I generally don't like belts (except for the occasional really heavy DL), because you either have to wear it all the time for your heavy cleans and squats, or not at all (or stay sub maximal when you don't have it, which almost no one has the discipline to do), otherwise you risk dependency and inconsistency in your lifts. Also, the 3rd pull of the clean forces you to "relax" somewhat as you transition in order to be fast to the bottom, but you must also immediately re-brace the trunk quite fast and hard as you meet the load. No breathing until you stand it up. I also noticed that you don't fully bottom out in your FS like you do in the clean. I constantly have to remind myself and others of this, but the squats are primarily supplemental movements for the clean and snatch (esp. FS). You should train them to the ROM/depth and position that you are capable of achieving in your clean/snatch, otherwise they are only partially helping you (at best), not just to parallel or slightly below that you can technically move heavier loads with. Pause squats are a good way to develop this full bottom squat awareness.

Finally, I don't know what that pre-pull off the floor is about, but probably not helpful. You are not Salimi (wfs), and as far as I know he only does it with the snatch, which only makes sense because it is a lighter weight that doesn't hurt/tire one to "feel" before lift off.

Last edited by Mauricio Leal : 12-16-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
Finally, I don't know what that pre-pull off the floor is about, but probably not helpful. You are not Salimi (wfs), and as far as I know he only does it with the snatch, which only makes sense because it is a lighter weight that doesn't hurt/tire one to "feel" before lift off.
It sort of looked like you were using the bounce there on that pre-pull... I don't think that would be legal in competition? When Salimi does it he allows it to settle atleast. Try pulling the weight when its dead.

And yeah, congrats on the lifts but your back looks pretty terrible on those cleans.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Shane Jensen

Profile:

Quote:
Probably some hip and hamstring mobility to work on.
That's what I'm thinking. Like I said it normally isn't an issue but I spent all day yesterday sitting in bleachers coaching at a wrestling tournament.

Quote:
On the other hand, your belted front squats afterward look pretty solid in the bottom. This is why I generally don't like belts (except for the occasional really heavy DL), because you either have to wear it all the time for your heavy cleans and squats, or not at all (or stay sub maximal when you don't have it, which almost no one has the discipline to do),
I actually have stopped using a belt for anything other than my heaviest squat sets for this reason.

Quote:
Pause squats are a good way to develop this full bottom squat awareness.
I do these, regularly.

Quote:
Finally, I don't know what that pre-pull off the floor is about
Solely because it seems to work for me (and this part of the lift in particular was something that I was interested to hear feedback about). I can do more when I do it than when I don't.

It doesn't come off the floor every time I do it but I feel like it loads my heels better to prepare me for the first pull.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Yeah even most of the "good" CF lifters I meet have terrible hip abductor mobility. Ter-ri-ble. A generous helping of Lotus and Pigeon from yoga are pretty much the cure. Straddle L-sits (wfs) also to help with the active mobility. In general everyone sucks at these, even nominally "flexible" women. 10 min clock, 3-4 days per week. Scale it back when you can do a full high lotus and decent straddle L. Regular bottom squats with a flat back (pull on front of shoes and lean back) will take care of the hams, but of course the front and side splits will help as well.

Other than that you really just gotta be a dog for position in the setup. Seems simple, but body awareness can be a PITA because what you don't perceive can still hurt you, and we tend to default to our most established/"strongest" position when the weight gets heavy. Get eyes on you that know what to look for, and keep filming and see if you can differentiate internally a good pull position and a bad one, then focus on repeating only the good one. Practice makes permanent.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Shaun Gross

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
It sort of looked like you were using the bounce there on that pre-pull... I don't think that would be legal in competition?
It's legal as long as the bar doesn't pass the knees.

Congrats on the PR's, onwards and upwards!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Straddle-L sucks in general, almost always. Bah!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
Dee Chan

Profile:

Your back looks weird? I dont know if your rounding your back or is it just you?

Last edited by Dee Chan : 12-17-2012 at 05:26 PM.