CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Kevin Pinel

Profile:
Cals and Macro for bulking

Hi All,

I've started trying to gain weight, move up a weight class in Judo and just generally get some bulk on me! (aiming for 80kgs eventually)

However, I need some advice on cals and macros.

Rather than layout a daily shopping list, I think it would be better to get an idea of how much I should try to eat and then adjust accordingly.

I eat eggs cooked in butter + veggies everyday for breakfast, shake and banana PWO, then 50g of meat or fish with 2 fist of starches and loads of veggies (5-7 per day) in my other 2 meals (plus EVOO and almond butter for fats). But I have different appetites on different days.

What would be a good place to start for a 70kg male, 176cm and who lifts heavy 3x per week and has judo 2x per week, aswell as 1 conditioning day (mandatory 1.5 hour squad session as I train with Jersey Judo Club) calorie and macro wise ? Ball park figures would be useful.

Also, I know I should avoid too many starches for health reasons, but I have no idea how to have more carbs without including them, so any advice in that area would be great aswell. I stay gluten free and basically eat Paleo Mon-Fri.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Kev
Old 10-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Cals and Macro for bulking

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet - Increasing Muscle Mass. (wfs)
Old 10-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

What Darryl posted for the most part. The foods can be different, but basically carb up and eat enough protein.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
Paul Coomans

Profile:

Regarding the calories figure out how many you're eating now. If your weight has been constant add 300-500 kcal to that. If you're gaining at the moment add 300-500 kcal when the gains stop.

I'm eating about 3400 kcal now and gaining. Only 20% of that is carbs. Once the gains stop I'll add some more but you certainly don't need to go in the 50-80% range with carbs to gain.

Quote:
Very high protein diets displace other important nutrients from the diet and can be a source of saturated fat. Although it is important to achieve energy needs, a high-energy diet should not be seen as an excuse for gluttony.
Is from the site linked above and is misleading. High protein diets can be full with veggies and other nutrious food. Saturated fat does not equal gluttony.

Last edited by Paul Coomans : 10-30-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Coomans View Post
Quote:
Very high protein diets displace other important nutrients from the diet and can be a source of saturated fat. Although it is important to achieve energy needs, a high-energy diet should not be seen as an excuse for gluttony.
Is from the site linked above and is misleading. High protein diets can be full with veggies and other nutrious food. Saturated fat does not equal gluttony.
The important nutrient they're referring to is carbohydrate.

FAO.org - The Role of Carbohydrates in Exercise and Physical Performance. (wfs)

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 10-30-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
Paul Coomans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
The important nutrient they're referring to is carbohydrate.
Haven't read the whole article but I think that would be an assumption on your part. They refer to nutrients by the way as in plural. And anyway high protein does not equal no carbs. You definitely need some carbs but it does not need to the bulk of your diet. Pun intended.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Coomans View Post
Haven't read the whole article but I think that would be an assumption on your part. They refer to nutrients by the way as in plural. And anyway high protein does not equal no carbs.
I think it's a reasonable assumption that the author was referring primarly to carbohydrate. This is because although the risk of micronutrient deficiencies is something that athletes should be aware of, particularly in relation to female athletes and iron, it can take weeks or in some cases months for a deficiency to reach a stage where it has a significant effect on health or performance. A low carbohydrate intake on the other hand can have a detrimental effect on performance in a matter of hours.

Vitamin and Mineral Status: Effects on Physical Performance.

Quote:
You definitely need some carbs but it does not need to the bulk of your diet. Pun intended.
Expert opinion says otherwise.

Position of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and Athletic Performance.

*All links wfs*
Old 11-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
Kevin Pinel

Profile:

Hi guys, sorry for the late response, been very busy with work and also training.

Daryl - Thanks for that, I've skimmed it once, will have an indepth read later on.

Overall, my carbs have never been very high. Only moderate in the 100-225ish grams per day, I find it hard to eat alot for some reason, but its seems like the thing to do for performance.

Thanks again