CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:
Eating at night

I didn't know if this was the best place to put this. I have alwayd had a problem with waking up and eating. I actually don't eat much during the day, but I think I eat enough. But I get up after being asleep for a couple of hours and I feel like eating a horse. I usually eat stuff, and peanut butter is one of the main things I go for. I guess it would be simple to just eat more during the day, but when I've tried it I still get up and eat at night. Maybe I just need to have the right things around to eat. Maybe something quick and high in protein. Didn't know if anyone here had dealt with is before and had some ideas. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
David Sigmon

Profile:
Re: Eating at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnes Langston Jr View Post
I didn't know if this was the best place to put this. I have alwayd had a problem with waking up and eating. I actually don't eat much during the day, but I think I eat enough. But I get up after being asleep for a couple of hours and I feel like eating a horse. I usually eat stuff, and peanut butter is one of the main things I go for. I guess it would be simple to just eat more during the day, but when I've tried it I still get up and eat at night. Maybe I just need to have the right things around to eat. Maybe something quick and high in protein. Didn't know if anyone here had dealt with is before and had some ideas. Thanks.
When I'm trying to add strength/size I'd keep a shake beside my bed at night of the following:

25 grams protein (whey isolate)
25 grams protein (casein)
1 tbs macadamia nut oil

That way when I woke up hungry or for whatever reason I'd just drink some of the shake and get back to bed.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Robert Walsh

Profile:

I have experienced this off and on. I'm almost positive it involves hormones and/or the central nervous system. If things are out of whack, then the body tries to compensate with compulsory eating. There are many variables at play here.

Do you drink coffee/caffeine late in the day? Are you getting enough carbohydrates? Are you under-recovering? Have you tried melatonin and/or ZMA? How stressed out are you? How are your vitamin d levels and sun-exposure?

Also, I have found that I need to make sure I'm not eating food that will cause my blood sugar to drop after I fall asleep. So no junk before bed, otherwise I will wake up and want more.

Last edited by Robert Walsh : 10-20-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:

Thanks. I stay out in the sun a lot but I don't drink much milk. I tried some Melatonin last night (in addition to the Ambien I take every night) and I still woke up. I keep turkey breast and chicken breast on-hand to eat during these times now. At an apple too.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

You have a sleep problem not an eating problem.

Ambien every night is a bad sign on a long term basis. For people who sleep correctly that stuff renders them unconscious for hours.

From the NIH website (Zolpidem is Ambien):

Your sleep problems should improve within 7 to 10 days after you start taking zolpidem. Call your doctor if your sleep problems do not improve during this time or if they get worse at any time during your treatment.

Zolpidem should normally be taken for short periods of time. If you take zolpidem for 2 weeks or longer, zolpidem may not help you sleep as well as it did when you first began to take the medication. If you take zolpidem for a long time, you also may develop dependence ('addiction,' a need to continue taking the medication) on zolpidem. Talk to your doctor about the risks of taking zolpidem for 2 weeks or longer. Do not take a larger dose of zolpidem, take it more often, or take it for a longer time than prescribed by your doctor.

Try to find the cause of your sleep issues.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
Michael Dries

Profile:

^^^ This, using any sleep aid over long term period is just masking the underlying cause. I've also hear/read (sorry no references) that sleep aids don't produce the same type of sleep as a normal sleep session would, therefore inhibiting growth hormone production.

That said, what does your training and diet look like. If you're waking up due to hunger you may want to either A) eat more during the day or B) have some starchy carbs before bed.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:

You folks are right. I need to see a sleep therapist or something I think.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
Dan Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sigmon View Post
When I'm trying to add strength/size I'd keep a shake beside my bed at night of the following:

25 grams protein (whey isolate)
25 grams protein (casein)
1 tbs macadamia nut oil

That way when I woke up hungry or for whatever reason I'd just drink some of the shake and get back to bed.
David,

Just curious... why not 100% casein?

Dan
Old 10-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Ben Joven

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnes Langston Jr View Post
Try intermittent fasting if you you're a late night snacker.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Joven View Post
Try intermittent fasting if you you're a late night snacker.
Huh? How would IFing help?